Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Middle school ideas. Options
mbryson12
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:11:25 PM
Groups: Member

Anyone have any good middle school projects or ideas. Mainly for 6th and 7th graders that are close to using power tools, but not quite ready yet.
mikeb
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:22:15 PM

I like to start 6th graders off with hand tools and then promote them to the hand held power tool. Check out my website I have some ideas there that you can look at. Here is a link:

http://www2.nksd.net/education/staff/staff.php?sectionid=501
BRYAN CONKLIN
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:34:55 PM

If you have some mini lathes, I was working at a summer camp this summer and things like the pens, pencils, bottle stoppers, keychains and stuff went over really well. I had 4th and 5th graders doing them.
Also if you have a couple of scroll saws, sports logos are big with the kids as well.
swillner
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 11:29:06 PM

I have my 6th graders complete 4 projects during a 9 week rotation. They build a lollipop tree, a jump a peg game, a fish shaped oven rack push pull tool with the only power tool is a bench drill press. The other project the students complete that is very popular is to use 5/8 wire nails and write their name in nails on a 3" x 8" piece of pine. If the student has demonstration competent fine motor skills I will let them use a 16" scroll saw to build an acrylic flower vase that is cut on the saw and then heated and shaped in a toaster oven-fairly low cost project and great way to introduce other materials and teach a little science about the behavior of materials.

Bryan

What camp did you work at? I worked at a camp in Maine and lathe projects were huge (So much so that next year we will have 6 lathes) and I also had the youngest campers using the lathe as well
mstang64bb
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 11:45:49 AM

Swillner,
I do the exact same projects with my 5th graders. I got the lessons for a wood mag with Paul Meisel as the teacher. Also, included was the plant stand, camdle sconce and small wooden cars and trucks. I love these lessons! They'er great for building basic hand tool skills. It's funny to find out just how many kids have never used a hammer before..
If I can, do you have a plan for the "fish shaped oven rack push/pull tool that I can get from you? It sound like a great filler type project ot be used on the scroll saw.

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
swillner
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 9:47:06 PM

If you will let me know your email address, I will send you a copy of the worksheet I give the students which also includes the pattern.
I also found the idea for these projects from "WOOD" magazine written by Paul Miesel-why reinvent the wheel?

Stephen Willner
Jeffseiver
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:42:31 AM

If you go to Balljh@auhsd.us then click on Mr.Seiver you can see lots of projects and view 16 pod casts that show how most are completed. It's my classroom and kids. I have them complete 7 projects in 9 weeks. The one they really like is the Old Woody car. I hand it out in a kit form. I hand outthe parts in sequential order so that they can't go to wrong. If you e-mail me your MAILING address I will send you 100 plans for middle school kids including my basic board drafting lessons which take 9 weeks and at the end they produce a complete set of working drawings and build a scaled model house too boot. I take only 1 8th grade class each semester and I repeat the same drawings and project but I teach them cadd instead of hand drawings. new this year is 3-d cadd formating. Also a field trip to UCLA hammmer museum to see the Lautner exhitit of scaled models and designs.
mstang64bb
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 8:03:49 PM

Hi Stephen Willner,

My email for the fish push/pull tool is
burringtonrj@mansfieldct.org

Thanks, Bob

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
Mike Walsh
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 12:29:27 PM

Many of these posts refer to Paul Meisel. Paul was an industrial arts teacher who branched out into selling project hardware, plans and now clock kits. He continues to do a lot to support shop teachers.
I recommend his sites to any of you looking for ideas, plans or supplies. Meisel Hardware Specialties, Turncraft Clocks or Theta Industrial Supplies.
mbryson12
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:33:30 PM

Jeff, My email address is mbryson@ridgway.k12.co.us
I would appreciate it.
Thanks, MIKE