Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

One Week and vacation is over Options
WoodTeacher
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:04:36 AM
Groups: Member

just one week and the school year begins again with teacher meetings -- didn't get to go anywhere this year -- but I did get a lot of house chores done

a lot of our staff are complaining already that we don't have any days off between Labor Day and Veterans Day --- just like it was when I was in school and when I started teaching --

I feel we got more accomplished on the old system, in my opinion all these days off during the school year are actually detrimental to keeping the students attention -- I know that a lot of schools take 1 week at Thanksgiving and 3 weeks at Christmas
klandin
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:14:09 PM

WoodTeacher, I'm curious, where do you teach? None of what you write about sounds anything like our reality here in New England.
One week to go? Gads! I don't start back up until the 22nd, but then again we didn't get out until June 19th.
A whole week off at Thanksgiving? All that I've ever gotten off for Turkey Day was Thursday and Friday plus sometimes a half day for travel on Wednesday.
Three weeks at Christmas? Unheard of. On this coast the standard is 9 - 10 days weekends included.

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
J.marquart
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:36:37 PM

Teacher return Aug 10th. .... Yes I know it a Friday.
Teachers meeting 10th thru. 17th

Students return on the 20th.

This year and three more and I can hang it up.
But who's counting.
WoodTeacher
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:33:51 PM

Keith -- out here in Calif -- not all districts use the same schedule -- mine starts with students on Aug 13 -- I think one district starts Aug 8 with students but they take 2 weeks at Easter.

other districts in our area start on Aug 20 with students -- some may have 3 weeks at Christmas others just 2 weeks.

As of right now unless the tax hike isn't approved by the voters, we will get out on June 7. Last year we got out on June 1

as a side note, some districts combine Lincolns Birthday and Presidents into a week off in Feb.
klandin
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 8:45:15 PM

I don't know if this is just another sign of my failing memory, but I'd swear that when I was a kid school never started back up until after Labor Day. What ever happened to that? Isn't the school year supposed to start in September? I sense a bit of mission creep here.

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
WoodTeacher
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 9:29:17 PM

Your right as a kid we started school the Tues after Labor Day and got out usually the 2nd full week in June. Which made for a great summer vacation --

We went to starting school early so we could finish our semester by Christmas break. The reasoning was that by someones statistics (which can be manipulated) we were losing a high number of students being gone for 4 weeks for vacations and returning just before finals toward the end of January. They felt it unfair to students to take finals after missing so much work -- personally in my classes I didn't lose hardly any students. I did have a student leave last year before Thanksgiving and didn't return until the 2nd week in Jan -- they missed the finals in Dec -- and they didn't care enough to make them up on returning. The reasoning was also used that by starting early we could get out earlier in June which would put our students in better position to sign up for summer college (the seniors) and those looking for summer jobs wouldn't have to battle all the other students for those jobs. As a last note we did get out in May a couple of times until our district made the contract with the Teachers Retirement that all teachers had to teach at least one day in June. This was negotiated because it benefited the administration -- when that happened we given all sorts of stories-- 1) the IRS required it, 2) Teacher Retirement required it -- but the truth finally came out it was the districts choice --- all the IRS cared about was the tax on the money -- all the Retirement cared about is the number of days the district called a teaching years.

Giz
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:58:24 PM

YO....

Here in Oregon, in my district, we get out mid-June, and return late August for inservice. Kids return after the Labor Day Holiday.

woodshopcowboy
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 2:34:04 PM

I'm in the third day of teacher's meetings (returned Aug. 1st) and the students show up Aug. 21.

And they put me on the Math/Sci team and took me outta the woodshop and into the traditional classroom!

Gah!

Do I still belong to the forum now?
WoodTeacher
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 9:10:40 PM

Tom --

are you now retired?
WoodTeacher
Posted: Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:30:01 AM

That is awesome that you might be able to write curriculum -- I am envious you are retired -- I just can't afford it yet
J.marquart
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 4:14:25 PM

Tom...
Here in my county the superintendent is an elected office.
You interested? lol
WoodTeacher
Posted: Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:52:22 PM

tomorrow its up at 5 and at work around 7
J.marquart
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 6:02:12 AM

Day one of the 12/13 school year.(FRIDAY???)
meetings,meetings,meetings.
got to love it.
WoodTeacher
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 9:12:52 PM

Students come on Monday -- I am still waiting for my doc cam and tablet to be delivered by our tech person -- of course then I will have to spend time setting them up as the tech person is too busy to that which I would have had time to do today and I will have to search for the software which has been erased from my computer since they just had to reimage it which didn't do anything but cause some extra work for me to reinstall needed program-- so in reality that means even though I could use those items on day one -- I probably wont' get them till Thurs or Friday --
facarroll
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 11:30:42 PM

Don't you love it when you come back to work and the staff data on the server was meant to get backed up but got deleted instead?

Frank Carroll
Jindabyne Central School (Retired)
Australia
http://www.SafetyTestingOnline.com