Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

How much of what do you buy? Options
MisterRishard
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:09:25 AM
Groups: Member

Hey I'm a new Woodworking teacher and just inherited wood shop with almost no supplies, I'm trying to figure out how much of what to buy, here's what I'm wondering about and any help would be appreciated:

Wood:______BF
Glue:_______Gallons
Sand paper:
60________ Sheets
120_______ Sheets
220_______ Sheets
Also what brand of sand paper?

Other things I am forgeting???

Caution this machine has no brain you must use your own!
klandin
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:55:07 AM

That is an impossible question to answer without first knowing how many students you are servicing, and what your exact curriculum will be. Even then the best that you can do is an educated guess. In my case for example, the math works out to roughly 19 BF of lumber per student. My advice to you is to start out by making your supply orders in stages. First you figure out exactly what projects your students will be making. Based on that, order only enough lumber and supplies to get you through the first marking period (when in doubt, always ere on the side of ordering a little extra). Then keep a sharp eye on your stocks and replenish as you go along. After you've done this for a year or two you will eventually get to the point where you can approximately predict how much consumable supplies you will need for an entire year, but even then you will occasionally be surprised. BTW: I like Klingspor for all of my abrasive needs.

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
MisterRishard
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:05:09 PM

Oh sorry lots of work makes me make short messages, I Teach at a high school I have about 122 students, which is a lot. I was reading through other posts and I think I'm going to duct tape the sand paper backs to get more use out them and give each student 3 pieces for the month and see how that goes. Any more advice and input would be very helpfull.

MisterRishard
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:07:56 PM

Or if someone has their yearly order they purchase and just posts it that would be a giant help.

klandin
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:17:41 PM

Is sandpaper really so expensive that it makes monetary sense to reinforce it with duct tape?

Keith Landin
MrsN
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 12:37:47 PM

I wouldn't bother with duct taping the sand paper. in my shop duct tape disapears much faster then sandpaper. keep the sandpaper out of sight until it is needed and you shouldn't too much of an issue with it. Depending on the projects, you really don't need that much sandpaper. and most kids don't know the difference and will keep using it long after it is useful. in my shop sand paper useage is more an issue of classroom manegment then supply manegment, if that makes sense.
it really depends on the project that you make for the amount of materials. I have just over 300 kids throughout the year in my middle school and I use less then a gallon of glue. we make things that use very little glue. At the highschool I have less then 100 kids and go through a couple gallons in the year.
klandin
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:17:01 PM

Back when I taught in an underfunded inner city school district (My supply budget worked out to just $1.19 per pupil, so I basically had to finance the program out of my own pocket) I would buy surplus rolls of 1" - 2" wide abrasive cloth (the kind that is used to make sanding belts). That worked pretty well for middle school type projects such as CO2 race cars.

Keith Landin
Buckiteacher
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:54:04 PM

Just another reply.
High school approx 100 students per day.
Budget for class 1700 shared between wood and Drafting ENG.
Students do pay for the lumber they use though.

Sand paper
usually a 50 count box of 80, 120 and 220.
2 boxes of 150.
I use Klingspor lately and buy a couple bargain boxes of random grit cut offs also it is usually heavy cloth backed. I also use their belts sander stuff.

2 to 3 gallons of glue. I go with Titebond 2 and if they need something more water resistant they are on their own.

Also around 3 gallons of polyurethane
2 gallons of paint thinner( I blend My poly to a wipe on finish)

Just a couple cans of stain I keep about 4 colors. They want something different it on them. I prefer they just clear coat.

Brushes for the finish

I usually pick up a couple tape measures.

Screws we use a lot of Kreg Pocket screws.

So Just another 2 cents.

MisterRishard
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:14:14 PM

Thats what was looking for! anymore advice,because I'll need a lot.

Giz
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:32:17 PM

Buckiteacher wrote:
Just another reply.
High school approx 100 students per day.
Budget for class 1700 shared between wood and Drafting ENG.
Students do pay for the lumber they use though.

Sand paper
usually a 50 count box of 80, 120 and 220.
2 boxes of 150.
I use Klingspor lately and buy a couple bargain boxes of random grit cut offs also it is usually heavy cloth backed. I also use their belts sander stuff.

2 to 3 gallons of glue. I go with Titebond 2 and if they need something more water resistant they are on their own.

Also around 3 gallons of polyurethane
2 gallons of paint thinner( I blend My poly to a wipe on finish)

Just a couple cans of stain I keep about 4 colors. They want something different it on them. I prefer they just clear coat.

Brushes for the finish

I usually pick up a couple tape measures.

Screws we use a lot of Kreg Pocket screws.

So Just another 2 cents.

Buckiteacher is about where I am. I have a district budget with $1500 to split between Drafting and Woodshop. The Drafting portion consists of a couple hundred bucks for ink, and that's it. The rest is spent in the woodshop. Additionally, I have a "student account" that is strictly from my school. It's funds are comprised of anything students purchase from the shop in the way of lumber. I use both accounts to resupply the shop (and Drafting lab).

In addition to general supplies listed above, I use these accounts to purchase lumber for the students. Maybe 3 times per year, as needed.

I normally purchase 50 to 100 bd/ft of any lumber species that need replenished in my rack. Red Oak, Walnut, Alder, Ash, Mahogany, Cherry, etc. Our least expensive lumber is #2 grade pine, in 1x10 size. I normally order 300 linear feet of this at a time.

Hope this helps ya!
jdwykrent
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2012 1:48:36 PM

Lumber:

300 BDF 4/4 Cherry #1 COM
100 BDF 8/4 Cherry
300 BDF 4/4 Red Oak #1 COM
100 BDF 8/4 Red Oak #1 COM
400 BDF 4/4 Northern Pine FG

Other Supplies:

- This is on an as needed basis. I will stock the basic supplies (Screws 3/4" - 3" Spax, Glue, Dowels, Nails, Sand Paper, Blades, and other basic BASIC supplies). I have found that this cuts out excessive spending and my administrators support it. Any other supplies that are specific to a students project are considered "special order" and need to be supplied by the student. I will order the material for the student but require it be paid for before being used.

I started 8 years ago with $0 budget. I am currently sitting at +$2701.67.

We do a fundraiser each year. My style of fundraiser is different though. I sell Enjoy the City Coupon books. When a student sells a book they receive $10 in a made up account (tracked on a spread sheet but actually in one account that the school gives me). They can use the money for any special order material or wood that they purchase through the school. If they choose not to do fundraising they just pay for what they use. If the student still has money in their made up account at the end of the year I tell them it will go into the "General Fund" for the class to purchase basic materials for next year. Lots of paperwork at first, but in the end it works out great!

craigp
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:42:22 AM

When I taught woodworking at my old school in Colorado, I would usually order the following:

5 gallons of titebond 2 glue (yearly)
case of biscuits #20, #10, #0 ( 2-3 years)
case of dowels ( 2- 3 years)
case of assorted Kreg screws (2-3 years)
case of sandpaper (2 - 3 years)
sanding discs for the random orbit sanders (yearly)
6 belts for our TimeSaver sander (yearly)
a barrel of precat mre lacquer (yearly)

I also order about 2500 bf Red Oak, 2000 bf Hard Maple, 2000 bf Cherry, 2000 bf Walnut, 2000 bf Alder and various others depending on prices.

I order about 50 sheets of 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" Baltic Birch ply.

I also order about 60 - 75 sheets total of Red Oak, Maple, Cherry, Walnut, and Alder 3/4" ply.

Students would pay for the materials used, but I also had a $7,000 budget for materials and equipment (maintenance took care of paying for sharpening and repairs).

Craig R. Patterson, CD
PLTW Teacher
Elkton High School
Elkton, Maryland