Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Dust Collection Trouble - Query Options
johnm
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:02:57 PM
Groups: Member

Folks -

The dust collection in the shop is "blowing snow". Sawdust is being blown out the exhaust air duct on top of the cyclone unit, not going into the collection bins. All of the ducting is clear and the volume of airflow is unchanged. Unfortunately all of the cars in the parking lot have been getting a "protective coating" of woodchips. I don't know enough about DC to know why the sawdust would be blowing out the exhaust stack instead of into the cyclone bucket. Any ideas?

TIA,

John
facarroll
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:37:58 PM

It is likely that there is some sort of blockage in the system. It is possible with a cyclone system that the cyclone itself rather than the hopper below, might be choked by a compaction of chips and fragments, especially where the cyclone narrows. Try rodding it out with a long piece of wood. If this was the problem, in future try to have the hopper below the cyclone cleared away more regularly, and avoid sucking up offcuts or material that might help choke it.
You may alternatively have a filter system with a burst filter screen, though this will not be the case if your system is a cylindrical one, indicating a proper cyclone.
Hope this helps.

Frank Carroll
Jindabyne Central School (Retired)
Australia
http://www.SafetyTestingOnline.com
Giz
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:13:10 PM

I would assume you have a problem downstream from where the dust is exiting to atmosphere.

Somebody's gonna have to get up there and take a look.

Does your district have a "maintenance department"? If so, as in my district,it should fall to them.

Good luck!
klandin
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 5:43:13 PM

First check the obvious - is your hopper full? If it is, or recently was, the cyclonic unit itself may have become clogged with debris. As stated above, you should use a long stick or broom handle to make sure that the cyclone is completely empty. If that checks out then I would next check the seal where your cyclone meets the hopper. These systems rely on a partial vacuum within the the hopper. Any significant amount of air infiltration at the bottom of the cyclone could ruin this low pressure zone and cause the sawdust to shoot out the exhaust port rather than swirl down into hopper as its supposed to. If that checks out, and this is an extreme long shot, I'd check to make sure that the motor is still wired correctly. Could it be running in reverse?

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
jgstearns
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:08:10 AM

A word of caution- dust mask.
Whenever you reach into the dust collector to dislodge something- when it breaks free, sawdust will pour from your collector.
I have a bag system outside my shop and had 4 of the 6 bags plugged- Once I got the compaction clear, I was showered with sawdust!
Wear a dust mask and be prepared to take a shower afterwards.
klandin
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:05:29 PM

John:

How did it work out? Did any of our suggestions solve your problem?

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
thibault
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2012 12:13:21 AM

Besides the hopper being full of sawdust another possibility is that there is air getting into the hopper from below allowing the flow of air from the duct above to draw air and sawdust from below up into the exhaust stream.

Our hopper was doing the same thing you described. I had already emptied the hopper right before the school year so it wasn't full. It turned out that there was a gasket/seal along the bottom edge of the hopper where the clean-out door slides that had become slightly out of place. Once it was repositioned the problem was solved.