Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Need a Miter saw recommendation ASAP Options
jdwykrent
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 10:37:41 AM
Groups: Member

My Dewalt 12" sliding compound saw bit the dust this morning. Anyone want to chime in on what they have / what stands up to student use 8 hours a day?
Champlainbuilder
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:45:27 AM

What happened to it? I've got one of those and like it a lot, even more then the Bosch that I have. My Dewalt has stopped working a few times and it has always been the brushes. You can buy some time by taking the brushes out and rubbing them over some sandpaper. Can't say if this is your problem though......

Good luck.
jdwykrent
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:40:10 PM

Cracked blade arbor housing, damaged bearings, bent blade arbor, needs brushes, needs new kickback guard, needs new fence... That's all I can see right now without opening it up. The cost to repair is close to the cost of a new saw.
woodnfire
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:53:34 PM

Replaced my Dewalt 10 with a Dewalt 10
klandin
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 9:16:58 PM

When my old Dewalt 12" slider needed to be replaced I ran right out and replaced it with a brand new Dewalt 12" slider. I figured that surviving seven years of heavy daily use (and abuse) was all the recommendation I needed. 1 1/2 years later, and I still have absolutely no regrets. If anything, this new machine is even better than the old one. BTW: The old machine still works great for rough work. Its just that its miter detents have become a bit worn, so the saw is no longer good for precision work.

What happened to your machine? Bent arbor? Now that sounds like one heck of a story! Anyone injured?

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
jdwykrent
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:29:11 AM

No injury. It happened because the board being cut was not held tightly to the fence. The board was kicked up into the kickback guard and bent it over resulting in the blade lodging 3/4" into it. +/-$500 to repair according to the service center. I am going to replace it with the same saw. I didn't know if there was anything better on the market since I haven't been shopping in a while.
bweids
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:11:49 PM

I own and also have a12" dewalt compound miter saw with the slide in the school shop. It is safe and does a great job! Be sure to buy good blades.
JoeNovack
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:53:33 PM

Unless you truly need the cut of a larger saw my Dewalt 8-1/2 miter saw has served me very well and is far more physically manageable for students.

All the best,
Joe
www.woodshopteachers.org
jdwykrent
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:43:01 AM

We get random width and length rough cut lumber. So I have boards that range from 2" wide to 18" haven't seen anything larger than that yet.
Bob
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 1:07:36 PM

I've got two mitersaws, both non-sliding and so I believe they are more durable as students don't have to do as much. Both are Dewalt though one is the newer 12" with the belt drive and the motor on top. This one give more capacity and is quieter. I also REALLY like the ability to adjust both back fences to which I have attached sacrificial fences so we can close the opening down to zero clearance.

We're still using a radial arm saw for the big stuff although at some point we may get a sliding compound (certainly safer if used properly) although I still like teaching proper and safe use of the Radial. I think we'll reserve the slider for the larger cuts and continue using the standard mitersaws for everything else--less movement likely = less problems.

I've never heard of any problems with the mitersaw that didn't involve (1) material away from the fence, (2) hands too close to the blade, or (3) miter cuts where the wood was not held securely and so moved (we angle blade to right so it pushes material into stop block on left when making repeat cuts). Number 1 takes care of the saw as described and can bend/destroy the fence making the saw worthless (until the fence is replaced), and number two and three can take care of the student.
Jack Grube
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 6:46:53 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I believe Makita will repair any tool purchased by a school for the cost of the parts only - no labor. Might be worth considering....
jdwykrent
Posted: Tuesday, January 08, 2013 7:08:50 AM

Purchased a new Dewalt 12" slider. The reason I chose the same saw was: 1. the students are familiar with it and trained on it. 2. The miter stop (cam locking plate) is replacable. 3. The old saw lasted 8 years with 100 students using it each day at least once or twice without any problems.