Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Bandsaw table inserts Options
Dan Coleman
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 3:16:08 PM
Groups: Member

An Industrial Tech teacher asked me to pick up a couple bandsaw inserts for him on my last visit to Grizzly. I was surprised to see his saw required the new larger 1-3/4” diameter with holes just like the one I had seen on a larger Jet saw two weeks earlier. A quick measurement got me about .160” thick which I guessed to really be 4mm. Last week at the Woodworkers Show I found Carter zero clearance inserts that were marked 11/64” thick. I usually turn zero clearance inserts on my metal lathe out of Corian or plastic. I would like several of you to measure the depth of the insert and how much lip I would need to leave for the insert to settle into the hole.
Thanks in advance,
Dan Coleman

Dan Coleman
St. Louis, MO
Retired Quality Inspector, CWI and IA Teacher
"Still a teacher at heart"
bob itnyre
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:45:20 PM
Groups: Member

I have two bandsaws. One is a Delta 10 inch and the second is a 14 inch Asian import. I used a depth micrometer and the lip on the first one was .096 inches below the surface of the table. The lip on the second one was .114 inches below the surface of the table. Both saws were used when I got them. Both had badly dinged up, but useable inserts. A few years ago I got a packet of yellow plastic inserts. I was not happy with them because the lip was too thick and the insert was higher than the table. I now make my own out of wood and I notch and glue in a small piece of wood to go in the saw slot to keep the insert from rotating. Seems to work fine. Hope this helps.