Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Cleaning a Woodshop Options
Marilena
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:34:30 PM
Groups: Member

Hello,
I am learning woodworking and in the process I have found a job cleaning a woodshop & showroom. I am having trouble keeping the place clean within the number of hours I have to work in the week. I am wondering if there are any pieces of advice, tips, tricks, or websites you could share with me. I have searched and searched but I am only able to find a small amount of information on cleaning and upkeep.
Thank you very much!
Marilena
MrsN
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 12:14:39 PM

Don't do everything every day. Depending on the work being done, you could spend all day sweeping and never be done. Instead, sweep the walk ways as needed for safety then right before you leave (or right before the boss comes in) give the place a good sweeping.
make a schedule for stuff that needs to be cleaned. have a list of stuff to do daily, every other day, weekly, monthly... keep track of what you do and when(also how long it takes each time might be helpful to you) then you can look back and see when the last time you did each task. Also having a list will be helpful if the boss ever asks what you are up to or when was the last time you did such and such.
It is a little hard to be more specific with out knowing what machines and tools are in the shop, and what is being made. if you share more details I might be able to be helpful.

Try making the place easier for the users to clean. get brushes to hang by tables, leave brooms available for people. Dust collection, down draft sanding tables, vacuums, and other stuff will also help
Bill Smith
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 3:44:23 PM

Are you doing the cleaning yourself? The cleaning should be done by the students. I taught "shop" for 34 years and never cleaned my shop, the students did it. My shop was always clean.

Assign cleanup jobs. I numbered all the jobs. Put numbers on the jobs. Had the students draw numbers each grading period. About 10 to 15 minutes before the end of class, I called "Clean Up!". The students put up their materials and tools. Then cleaned their assigned area. Once they finished, they remained by the job. I or a class foreman went around and checked the work. If a foreman did the job, they reported to me any job not done and I corrected the student, not the foreman. I gave a grade each day.

Actually I gave bonus points which were added to the students grade for the grading period. An acceptable job got no points. An exceptional job got one bonus point. A poor job got a negative point. If a student was absent, another student could volunteer to do the absentees job and get a bonus point. Everything got cleaned every period.

As I said the students remained by their clean up job. This kept the students from gathering by the door, waiting for the bell, and causing problems.

The best part, the shop was clean. The students took better care of everything. Administrators thought I was a great teacher, of course they didn't have a clue if I was teaching or not.

I became a CTE administrator and a clean class told me a lot about the teacher. Sadly, some classes were clean because no teaching was taking place. However, most of my poor teachers had very messy shops.
jdwykrent
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:19:54 PM

We do a basic sweep and pick up every hour. But the deep cleans that last all day are before conferences and at the end of they year for their final exam (I show mastery of the curriculum through authentic assessments).
MisterRishard
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 6:25:32 PM

I have students do almost all the work, here is the job list I have and some may not apply to your shop. Also I hooked up MS Outlook to some speakers with clean up alarms that go off 6 mins before the bell rings. Here is the job list I have now:

~Blow off all tools/turn off dust collector
~Sweep Zone 1
~Sweep Zone 2
~Sweep Zone 3
~Tool Check
~Scrap Wood Pick up
~Put up All Clamps/Close Vices
~Lower All Blades and Guards
~Put away and Organize Sand Paper
~Put up Chairs on the East Side
~Put up Chairs on the West Side
~Organize/Flat Stack Wood Room
~Organize/Flat Stack Wood Shelves
~Wrap up all cords
~Foreman ~ Check make sure everything's done
~Slack Picker upper, if anyone is gone or any extra job that needs done.

Every week I go through sometime and take a new razor blade and clean and planer blades, the jointer blades lastly the band saw blade (while running) then through it out. I also check table saw blade alignment, and lube anything that needs lube with Bike Aid Dri-Slide.

Caution this machine has no brain you must use your own!
MisterRishard
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 2:19:23 PM

Oh, Also make a large scrap wood container/box, I put channels on the bottom of mine for a pallet jack to move it, or put it on wheels

Caution this machine has no brain you must use your own!