Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Projects Options
Champlainbuilder
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2013 1:15:13 PM
Groups: Member

been a little boring around here lately, so its a good time to ask this.

I'm a little bored with my beginning woodshop projects. I teach HS, class is 80 minutes long for half a year. Its hard to come up with projects that keep students interest, are useable, look good and teach worthy skills. Here's this years projects and some info:

A small desktop carry box done with handtools
A toolbox. Can't get away from this as it a great intro to the power tools as well as the lathe to make a handle
A wall shelf with pegs, uses a router and lots of bandsawing
3 step stool, just a measuring exercise, pocket screwed
A small shaker style bench, a couple of miter and bevel cuts
Bookshelf, dadoes, rabbets, face frame and pocket screws.
End table, tapered legs, drawer construction, gluing a 20 x 23 top, double biscuit assembly
A small cupboard with face frame a door and shelf.
2 weeks or so for independent work, can't give them much more and keep my sanity. Adirondack chairs are popular with students during this time. Also, those that finish projects early have time to putter on the lathe or make cutting boards etc.

What projects do you do for Wood 1?
Dansilvernail
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 11:27:34 PM

Tell me about that desktop carry box. Would it be OK for grades 7 or 8? Younger?

One project that my 7th and 8th graders make is a message center. Here is a pic: http://d2amilv9vi9flo.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/I-Can-Do-That-Message-Center.pdf

Basically, it's a simple frame made out of 1 x 3's. (I suppose you could use 1 x 4's. I have fir 1 x 3's in inventory) The sides are dowel jointed into the top rail and the bottom is attached to the sides with screws (it's turned so you're looking at the narrow edge when you look straight at it). After assembling the frame, they router a rabbet in the back and set in a square of "shower board".

I changed the design so the top rail runs over the top of the side verticals. I also changed the dimensions so the whiteboard material is 16" x 16" (so I can get 18 of them out of a 4 x 8 sheet).

Now, here is a question: I have a TON of 1/2" fir in 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 widths. Any ideas? I'm having the 5th graders make pencil boxes but there is so little room for error when nailing and some students are having the nails poke out through the sides despite pre drilling and marking the nailing lines. They're using 3d finish nails. Maybe just glue them together?
Champlainbuilder
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:31:43 PM

The carry box is on the sketchup/Popular Woodworking I can do that site. It might be a good use of your half inch fir. I'd really have a hard time with middle school projects. I'd probably be thinking skateboards, boomerangs, paddles etc. Anything they could hit with/throw/ ride

Thanks for your reply, can't believe no one else has listed their projects, seems it would help us all.
mikeb
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 9:54:32 AM

Champlainbuilder,
Soot me an email and I will give you some of the things I do with my middle school students. michael_berndt@nksd.net
tbockman
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:00:24 PM

I just signed a contract to teach 7th & 8th grade woodworking part time at an art oriented charter school. Funds are limited, the shop is sorely lacking in every possible way, and it presents a real challenge with much potential. I'm excited to be back in the saddle after retirement, but I haven't worked with this age group in over 30 years (that's a little before Internet, smart phones and mp3's). I'm looking for up-to-date project ideas that can be made on the cheap with hardly any equipment and mostly hand tools. One of the last remaining custom cabinet shops is going to let me have a lot of misc materials. Any ideas you can share would be greatly appreciated.

woodshopteacher@cableoneNOSPAM.net
woodnfire
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:04:00 PM

Tom
I wouldn't worry about being up-to-date. Old projects work just as well.
I have some of my handtool projects posted on:

http://www.woodshopteachers.org/

I have come up with some different ones but just need to time to get them "share-able"

Good luck with your new job.

Steve
JoeNovack
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:26:48 PM

Tom was instrumental in getting woodshopteachers.org off the ground...
He is an inspiring resource of knowledge and a huge asset to our small community.
Check his stuff out.

Tom...
Glad to see that you are back in the biz...
:o)))
Tom Bockman + Charter School = Kids getting it...
Win Win!!!

Might make a special trip out to AZ just to watch you work...

J.marquart
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:26:24 AM

Welcome back Tom...
7th & 8th Grade students today, are like 11th & 12th grade students when you and I went to school.
Google sketchup 8 is a good tool for a start.

Looking foward to some good posts on here.
Dansilvernail
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 12:47:57 PM

Here is another project idea:

If you go to YouTube and search for "make a step stool with free Craigslist wood, you get a cool video made by Steve Ramsey where he makes a folding stool. You could have the students watch the video and take notes on how to make it, and look for safety infractions :). Also, you could have the students scale the stool up a bit (the one he makes is kind of small) which would make for a good exercise in shop math.

gb93433
Posted: Saturday, June 01, 2013 1:13:09 PM

I would rather have one good teacher than 100 good tools. America is rich with tools and poor with highly skilled teachers. I went to one of the top woodworking schools in the world and the founder has some of his work on display in the Smithsonian. The typical woodworker has more tools that the founder had. High quality tools are expensive but high quality teachers are priceless. I had developed a high school program in a school that had a 2/3 dropout rate. Every year my students won every competition and I cannot think of one of my students who dropped out. I had my students do exercises that led to making a piece of furniture. In addition I taught them how to properly sharpen each tool they would use. I also taught them how to make and use some hand planes that could polish a piece of wood where I could see their face on the surface of the wood. They learned how to saw veneer and as part of their exercises they did exercises that led them through a number of joints. While I was teaching the state paid me a visit and obviously they were not accustomed to hearing talk like I gave them but they did change the state standards to exactly what I was teaching. High quality programs can be developed and one can ask for donations. However nobody will donate to a losing program.

Recently I visited a junior college that told me they were in the top 25 in America. While I was being shown around I saw work that I would not have allowed my high school students to make. Some of the work was already falling apart and the semester had just come to an end. I would not have allowed any student to use a machine because they were in poor adjustment. Some were an accident waiting for a place.