Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Finally told the truth? Maybe! or not! Options
salthunter
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:51:21 PM
Groups: Member

One story after another!!
Two years ago the construction program I was teaching was closed. “Your students need to go to college”
Fourteen months ago I was told I was needed to teach “engineering”. That would be fine.
Oppps “at the alternate school”. To me, that would be great.

“With your experience we need you to teach a few behavioral students” in special ed, OK between two of them they broke a number of arms, 4 jaws and other facial bones even sent law enforcement for medical treatment.
Today a maintenance worker told me the district decided it is too dangerous for students to operate any kind of tools. Including a battery screw driver. “Too much liability with kids and tools” the art teacher was told.
Im a bit frustrated, Sorry; just needed to rant.
JoeNovack
Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:11:30 PM

Just so you know that someone is listening...
facarroll
Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:22:25 AM

Just so you know also,
probably just as much or more liability in sports programs, sciences and food studies.

Frank Carroll
Jindabyne Central School (Retired)
Australia
http://www.SafetyTestingOnline.com
J.marquart
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:23:25 AM

Everyone needs to know that it only takes about five college grads to design a building like the WTS.
But it takes about 500 well trained and highly skilled construction workers to build it.
Very few people will ever see the drawings of such a large building.
Millions of people will see the construction workers finished product.
MrsN
Posted: Friday, May 31, 2013 12:35:07 PM

J. Marquart, I really like how simply you put that. It is so true, but something that many people don't think about.
gb93433
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 2:01:15 PM

Anytime someone indicates that only the dumb kids take vocational education then ask them to figure the geometry and trigonometry for a cylindrical staircase. One time a math teacher asked me to take her class for a few while she would be gone. It was a senior math class in high school. I had the class figure out how to calculate the height of a water tower assuming that the land was level. Not one of them could tell me where to start until I drew a diagram on the board.
RoyBoom
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 5:31:52 PM

Right now I'm reading the book "Shop Class as Soulcraft". I just read a part which stated that it may take a team of architects to design a building, but hundreds to actually build it. Where are all the brick layers, concrete guys, carpenters, carpet layers, electricians and plumbers supposed to come from?
gb93433
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2013 12:17:50 AM

RoyBoom wrote:
Right now I'm reading the book "Shop Class as Soulcraft". I just read a part which stated that it may take a team of architects to design a building, but hundreds to actually build it. Where are all the brick layers, concrete guys, carpenters, carpet layers, electricians and plumbers supposed to come from?
Other countries. They are not going to come from the U.S. Myself and some friends cannot get the kind of employees we once got in the past. What was once common seldom exists.
facarroll
Posted: Tuesday, June 04, 2013 3:32:57 AM

Same issues here in Australia. Industry has stopped training, so now there are shortages. The government is issuing what are called 457 Visas to non residents to alleviate skills shortages. It's really just a junket to allow cheap labor into the country.

Frank Carroll
Jindabyne Central School (Retired)
Australia
http://www.SafetyTestingOnline.com
woodnfire
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:08:35 PM

This year the weightlifting class had 5 pukings, one broken finger, 22 stitches, and bruised orbital muscle. Woodshop had a paper cut and 2 slivers.
Dansilvernail
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:00:25 PM

I was told that I would have third graders next year so I Googled "third grade woodshop" to see if there was anything at all out there. It was very interesting and eye opening to see what kinds of schools popped up. All are very high end private schools.