Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

New Project Ideas Options
tbockman
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:58:28 AM
Groups: Member

A big thank you goes out to Woodcraft for hosting this site.

The Wiener Dog Bank

I received a camera (from a family member) capable of shooting HD video. The learning curve was about three days. I decided to immediately put it to use making start-to-finish Youtube videos of all our projects. It begins with the Wiener Dog Bank.

This entails starting a Youtube channel. That only took a few minutes since I went through my google classroom account. A little bit of reading directions, a few clicks here and there and a channel is ready to publish more uploads. I'm definitely learning as I go.

One of the first issues I ran into was finding a good quality free video editor, and of all of them I tested, the original microsoft moviemaker seemed to be the easiest to use, and the final video took up less memory, about 10% of the first HD copy.

It really looks almost as clear on Youtube as if I had kept it in HD, until you put it on full screen. Only then do I notice it doesn't look as crystal clear as HD, but it saves so much space and looks fine for what we are using it to accomplish.

Another issue I ran into was microsoft moviemaker doesn't accept MOV files from the camera, so I had to download a program to convert them into a format the moviemaker would take. I used Format Factory, and have mixed feelings about that particular program. It was nice that it did a batch, but it's accompanying viewer doesn't work for me and it seems it has made itself the dominate viewer, something I dislike.

VLC is my viewer of choice. I figured out how to eliminate the FF viewer by getting rid of the FF viewer folder, something that stayed behind after uninstalling Format Factory.

In the mean time I spent several hours going through Youtube videos and testing the results with little success when I finally came to this video. It is an open source program that can be freely shared. It was easy and quick too. Avidemux 2.76

For my older computer I chose win32(XP) and it works better and seems quicker than Format Factory, but maybe that is simply wishful thinking. It was a single clip, not a batch of clips. Perhaps it is the same time requirement. It appears with some finagling, Avidemux will do a whole a batch at one time, but that gets more complicated.

Then I tried another video project and it really was lightening speed. I could do one at a time in a fraction of the time running an entire batch would be on Format Factory.

As I was testing, I also found my windows 10 laptop has Adobe Premiere Pro which eliminates the need for converting the files before bringing them into the program. Using an adobe how to video, I managed to find my way around and have more control in editing and less time exporting, or so it seems. But the videos don't export the way I would want them to look. It's hard to explain, but Moviemaker many ways does a better job.

It also seems to save using less memory, but at the cost of having the sound line up with the video. Nothing looks worse than appearing to be English dubbing when the mouth movement doesn't line up with the sound track. I may just go back to Format Factory and continue using moviemaker. Of everything I have done the past two days of investigating and testing, it gave the best results... however, there is another simple video editor on the windows 10 I have yet to try.

Depending on how much time I end up with before and after students come back, I will attempt to record these for every project. This one took a couple of hours to record, but now that I have one completed, I believe I can finish the next one faster. This additional work would require balancing lesson making with project video making. In fact, some of the lessons could (maybe even should) be watching these project videos and answering questions.

This might turn into something all students will continue using even when they are in class. By watching the videos after they have made their project choice, they can work a little more independently. Each step will be there with details, setting the stage for successfully completing projects with less teacher maintenance.

And since a second retirement is not far off, leaving these videos behind greatly enhances a "lesser experienced" teacher to easily take over.

Look back at 2014.

Here are some general page short cuts for you...

Go to page 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5... 6 ... 7... 8... 9...10... 11...12...13
tbockman
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 2:00:50 PM

Make a cutting board

This is an older photo because I don't want to spoil the end of the new video by showing a current cutting board.

Here is a link to the video.

This video was challenging when everyone is pulling you one way or another. Finding time in between and then having a ton of technical issues makes for an interesting day, but I never give up.

I also shot another video that is waiting to be pieced together. I have a bunch of new lessons to post as well.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 1:34:48 PM

Adhesives

I think I'm getting the hang of this, but I'd still prefer in class learning.

This is an example of one of the many handouts I created for these assignments.

tbockman
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:29:23 PM

Making The Airplane

Follow the link.

It is getting harder and harder to make time for producing these videos now that I'm helping the 6th graders who have come back to school early. This is only for students who might have situations that make it difficult to do distance learning. There is no getting around this. I just have to make the best of it.

tbockman
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 4:55:10 PM

Selecting Materials

It is selecting materials week. Soon we will be looking closer at the scroll saw and start watching project videos... that is if I can get a little more time to make more project videos.

tbockman
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 3:24:15 PM

Wood Joints

We have advanced into wood joints and have completed 5 project videos that will soon be ready for posting.

tbockman
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:20:17 PM

A Focus on The Scroll Saw

Students will find themselves using the scrollsaw more than any other tool/machine in the shop.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2020 9:09:19 AM

Using project videos

We were back from spring break last week and transitioned into a social distancing mode. The students have taken well to the instructions to wear their masks, wash hands before and after class, sanitize safety glasses and tools before and after use, and I sanitize common objects between classes. We can't spray the machines without causing rust, so if they want gloves, there are several cases.

For the students who remain on distance learning, I made eight videos of projects start to finish. I seriously wonder when I might have time to make more. Anyway, we typically start with making a puzzle using a template, the drill press, scroll saw, and sander. Distance learners watch the video and answer questions.

This has been a wood shop favorite since my first day at this school. It's easy and introduces students to many concepts, machines, and hand work.

To stretch this out to fill a quarter, or for a few, the rest of the school year, I am thinking of adding other single machine lessons as we go, such as drill press, band saw, Belt disc sander, and others about wood technology, etc... which will all have PowerPoint's and quizzes.

I already have that material ready with a few minor adjustments, but I favor the project videos and hope to get more completed before I run through the existing videos. There is only so much time in a day and to keep in class numbers to a minimum, I lost half of the prep time. Somehow I will squeeze in everything and still have a life outside of school... a rarity for me.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2020 9:10:36 AM

Stretching it out a little.

In order to stretch the material further, I include assignments in between project videos. I also am noticing the simplicity of assignments now that I'm teaching full time, and it works once non-returning students are accustomed to distance learning.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2020 2:10:13 PM

Making Toys.

The simplicity of assignments makes doing both in class teaching and distance teaching easier.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, November 15, 2020 9:34:53 AM

The belt/disc sander

The simplicity of assignments makes doing both in class teaching and distance teaching easier.

Our connection was down all day. Now Pinterest must be having issues too... so I uploaded this a week later.

tbockman
Posted: Friday, November 20, 2020 10:22:06 AM

The Kitty Puzzle

By putting other lessons in between them, I have been trying to make the few videos that I was able to get done before we returned back to in school learning, last longer. This Kitty Puzzle is especially fun for animal lovers but brings me to almost halfway through those project videos. Not to worry, I have a few more ideas to stretch it out more.

I have also taken a few in class photos I will soon share.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 11:03:02 AM

A new idea just before being locked out.

I'm using part of the Thanksgiving break to play catch up on posting here. Before the pandemic, I had just completed this prototype. It is saved in CorelDraw so it can be made on the laser engraver and cut out on the scroll saw. All the hook marks too. It was really gaining in popularity but now that we are back in class, it has been somewhat forgotten due to the reminders of lockouts I'm assuming. I've also had to answer many questions about what is "Yale".

I made sure students knew they could put whatever name they liked on the key, as long as it wasn't too long. A very long name would probably not look right.

I have more in class photos I will soon share.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 11:22:03 AM

It has been nice to have students back working in the shop this quarter.

Now that we are halfway through the quarter, results have been spectacular. In class learning works better in almost every way. Better attitudes, better participation and better grades. In fact I think the majority of my students are so glad to be back that they are doing even better than before.

Take this student's project for example. I couldn't get much out of her and she usually put up a fuss when I tried a little pressure. I just persisted and she did her best, usually sticking to the wood burning tool. However, I didn't see this one coming. I was shocked when she came up with the idea and happy that I could help to show her how.

I really love the way this well thought out project turned out. I especially like how it got this student to finally participate in something higher. It was very well decorated with carefully chosen artwork. The message is crystal clear! "I love you mom... let's just say we don't get along too well." And it shows nicely on this resawn Aspen tongue and groove that was given to me last year. Good thing I hadn't run out of it yet or this event would never have happened.

You never know when or where a student will open up, let you in to their world, and express themselves as well as this. I hope mom loves this and will cherish it forever. I couldn't get the artwork on the back of the box photographed before it went home. I didn't think about doing that until I saw how this photo turned out, even with a crumby camera. The back had more of these cute cartoons.

I have to admit, cartoons are different than when I was a kid. I don't get the appeal of these particular choices, and maybe I'm over thinking it, but they do look good. They remind me of Felix the cat.

The following day when I asked if I could photograph the back, I was told that it already went home and is wrapped up for Christmas. Talk about pride in her achievement.

I don't know if she showed it off to any teachers, but if she did, I'm sure it came as a surprise to them and will certainly wow her mother. It just goes to show you that any one of your students can come around in the end. I can't tell you how it felt to show her how to make the corners and how well she managed to make them the right way. Let's hope there is more to come in the future.

All the students have taken well to hand washing, mask wearing, and cleaning their safety glasses before and after use. I am grateful they are doing this without being told over and over. Let's just say it is a pleasant surprise that there is no argument about it. It seems to be received as well as any other safety rule.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:02:54 PM

Pecking Hens

I try to challenge every student to do their best. Here is a complicated project I call "Pecking Hens". You may have seen it before, but if you have not, thin fishing line goes down under the paddle and is weighted, so when it swings in a circular pattern, the hens start pecking at the ground.

I didn't expect this camera shy student to want to make something so detailed and then to follow through no matter what problems had to be solved. She did a great job and it should be ready for paint soon. I think her family will like this cute project.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:37:30 PM

I'm up to five students in the distance learning...

What looks like more fun..? Distance vs. In class.

I just added the Ping Pong Ball Shooter to the videos. It was difficult to complete with everything else going on. I found a few errors in the captions, mostly not staying up long enough to read the longer ones. And at least one s was dropped to make the caption read oddly. I'd go back and fix it, but it would take too long at this point. To get it through the process, I had to break it up into four parts and then put those completed parts back together. Maybe later I'll tackle going back into make the minor adjustments. That brings it up to nine youtube videos. It may stay there for a while since I'm too busy to continue filming with in class students all but one period a day.

I did have one covid incident in class, but as far as I can tell, it didn't spread to me. It's unclear if if spread to anyone else. I understand that the student should be back after a brief time off.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2020 10:33:42 AM

I'm up to seven students now in the distance learning...

Here is more stretching out for distance learning so I can make my own videos last. I may not have a chance to get more made and this one fit nicely, especially since it is a project posted by a boy their age.

I did a class reminder to all in class learners to continue with our promise to the school that we each would wash hands before and after class, wash safety glasses before and after use, etc... Taking no chances since the flare up began in our state.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2020 10:41:32 AM

The Sahuaro Ornament

Another nicely done small project just in time for Christmas, and made by one of my lesser motivated students. What could be more appropriate in Arizona than a Sahuaro cactus tree ornament.

The freeform style of this gem immediately caught my eye and I just had to commend this student for the artistic way he captures the subject. I know my own would be all stiff and perfect while the gentle curves on this sample is what sets it apart. In fact my artist wife likes this so much she wants me to ask him if he would do 20 more so she can paint and send them out in some Christmas cards.

What....? You don't want my version? Ha! Maybe if I make one in two parts that slide together for a 3d look. Maybe I should do that... and then again, maybe I should show the student how to do one like that. After all, he's on a roll.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2020 11:24:40 AM

I'm up to seven students now in the distance learning... and playing catch up on posts.

The candlestick

The video inspired me to try making the candlestick while only using scraping tools. This age group has a hard enough time getting used to the lathe without stepping it up a bit to "riding the bevel", especially on something like this. I could just see their disappointment if their tool caught and ruined their work day after day.

Scraping is a good way to get them started on the wood lathe. This is a piece of cottonwood from our own on campus trees. The finish is clear Danish oil, no wax. Imagine a set of these on the Christmas dinner table.

tbockman
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2020 10:29:18 AM

We stopped early December... 15th since the health department decided three Covid cases in two weeks was too much. We were one of the only places left doing in-school learning when a couple of people tested positive who weren't even on campus. It started to run through their family and they would stop coming to school. I don't know all the particulars, but wood shop was going fine. We all washed hands before entering and washed hands after leaving, wore masks, and kept the door handle and other surfaces sanitized. When the call came in, we couldn't hear it above shop noise and I let my students go for recess. That was 2nd period but we never really got out of 2nd period as the students were sent back. Parents were called and students were released as parents could come get them, and wood shop continued for one boy. We just had to get this done for Christmas and thought we had two more days. We had to cram that into two hours as we didn't know how much time was actually left, so we rushed to get it out the door.

The last project out the door...

This student previously completed an amazing step stool that I wish I would have photographed. You know how parents can be when someone brings home a well made project. Mom's immediately want something, or at least mine did. In my case I ended up doing an entire kitchen at age 15, but now I'm getting off track.

This case a little different, but no less profound as mom see's her opportunity to get something she really wants and likes and knows the final product will be nice. It's happened so many times before in my career. This mom wanted a place to store some stemware and the student brought in a plan from the Internet that I thought was terrible. It lacked all character and was awkward and boxy looking. I told him to bring in a few dimensions for his particular use and we remade the entire plan, but not on paper. No, we were working on it as we went. What do you think? Should we do this? What if we changed that?

The pieces ended up not looking boxy but they do require a ton of sanding since they are made from maple. Bayne spent many days getting out machine marks and burns from his cutting.

Assembled in just a few minutes before closing the doors, this turned out fantastic.

You did a fine job Bayne. I silently wonder if he might end up in the woodworking industry as have so many of my students. He hasn't thought about the future much, but this may have given him an idea.

My own junior high wood shop experience did not go this well. In fact, wood putty was my best friend and took up more space than the wood. All kidding aside, I would never have continued in woodworking if it hadn't been for a school counselor signing me up for it at high school. I figured at the time that it would be a good place to fiddle around even though he assured me it would be much different at that level. He wasn't kidding either as I managed to completely transform myself and my life because of it. I couldn't even imagine what else I could have done that I would have enjoyed more than being a wood shop teacher.

I hope mom thinks it turned out well considering we didn't have much time to get it assembled. I also hope Bayne considers his options with his new skills and doesn't settle for a boring career.

Well, we are scheduled to go back January 19th, but wood shop will not open as I will be helping in other ways. If I'm understanding it right, the plan is for the kids to stay in small groups as teachers will move from room to room. I will also do a study hall late in the day. I'm so excited.... can you tell? I think this also means no wood shop on-line learning. Plans have a way of changing but they start a quarter like this, it has to stay that way through the whole time. We will see what happens. In the mean time, I hope what I have been posting is really helping others.

Go to page 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5... 6 ... 7... 8... 9...10... 11...12...13...14...15