Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

New Project Ideas Options
tbockman
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:58:28 AM
Groups: Member

A big thank you goes out to Woodcraft for hosting this site.

The Wiener Dog Bank

I received a camera (from a family member) capable of shooting HD video. The learning curve was about three days. I decided to immediately put it to use making start-to-finish Youtube videos of all our projects. It begins with the Wiener Dog Bank.

This entails starting a Youtube channel. That only took a few minutes since I went through my google classroom account. A little bit of reading directions, a few clicks here and there and a channel is ready to publish more uploads. I'm definitely learning as I go.

One of the first issues I ran into was finding a good quality free video editor, and of all of them I tested, the original microsoft moviemaker seemed to be the easiest to use, and the final video took up less memory, about 10% of the first HD copy.

It really looks almost as clear on Youtube as if I had kept it in HD, until you put it on full screen. Only then do I notice it doesn't look as crystal clear as HD, but it saves so much space and looks fine for what we are using it to accomplish.

Another issue I ran into was microsoft moviemaker doesn't accept MOV files from the camera, so I had to download a program to convert them into a format the moviemaker would take. I used Format Factory, and have mixed feelings about that particular program. It was nice that it did a batch, but it's accompanying viewer doesn't work for me and it seems it has made itself the dominate viewer, something I dislike.

VLC is my viewer of choice. I figured out how to eliminate the FF viewer by getting rid of the FF viewer folder, something that stayed behind after uninstalling Format Factory.

In the mean time I spent several hours going through Youtube videos and testing the results with little success when I finally came to this video. It is an open source program that can be freely shared. It was easy and quick too. Avidemux 2.76

For my older computer I chose win32(XP) and it works better and seems quicker than Format Factory, but maybe that is simply wishful thinking. It was a single clip, not a batch of clips. Perhaps it is the same time requirement. It appears with some finagling, Avidemux will do a whole a batch at one time, but that gets more complicated.

Then I tried another video project and it really was lightening speed. I could do one at a time in a fraction of the time running an entire batch would be on Format Factory.

As I was testing, I also found my windows 10 laptop has Adobe Premiere Pro which eliminates the need for converting the files before bringing them into the program. Using an adobe how to video, I managed to find my way around and have more control in editing and less time exporting, or so it seems. But the videos don't export the way I would want them to look. It's hard to explain, but Moviemaker many ways does a better job.

It also seems to save using less memory, but at the cost of having the sound line up with the video. Nothing looks worse than appearing to be English dubbing when the mouth movement doesn't line up with the sound track. I may just go back to Format Factory and continue using moviemaker. Of everything I have done the past two days of investigating and testing, it gave the best results... however, there is another simple video editor on the windows 10 I have yet to try.

Depending on how much time I end up with before and after students come back, I will attempt to record these for every project. This one took a couple of hours to record, but now that I have one completed, I believe I can finish the next one faster. This additional work would require balancing lesson making with project video making. In fact, some of the lessons could (maybe even should) be watching these project videos and answering questions.

This might turn into something all students will continue using even when they are in class. By watching the videos after they have made their project choice, they can work a little more independently. Each step will be there with details, setting the stage for successfully completing projects with less teacher maintenance.

And since a second retirement is not far off, leaving these videos behind greatly enhances a "lesser experienced" teacher to easily take over.

Look back at 2014.

Here are some general page short cuts for you...

Go to page 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5... 6 ... 7... 8... 9...10... 11...12...13
tbockman
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2020 2:00:50 PM

Make a cutting board

This is an older photo because I don't want to spoil the end of the new video by showing a current cutting board.

Here is a link to the video.

This video was challenging when everyone is pulling you one way or another. Finding time in between and then having a ton of technical issues makes for an interesting day, but I never give up.

I also shot another video that is waiting to be pieced together. I have a bunch of new lessons to post as well.

tbockman
Posted: Sunday, September 6, 2020 1:34:48 PM

Adhesives

I think I'm getting the hang of this, but I'd still prefer in class learning.

This is an example of one of the many handouts I created for these assignments.

tbockman
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2020 4:29:23 PM

Making The Airplane

Follow the link.

It is getting harder and harder to make time for producing these videos now that I'm helping the 6th graders who have come back to school early. This is only for students who might have situations that make it difficult to do distance learning. There is no getting around this. I just have to make the best of it.

tbockman
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 4:55:10 PM

Selecting Materials

It is selecting materials week. Soon we will be looking closer at the scroll saw and start watching project videos... that is if I can get a little more time to make more project videos.

tbockman
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 3:24:15 PM

Wood Joints

We have advanced into wood joints and have completed 5 project videos that will soon be ready for posting.

Go to page 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5... 6 ... 7... 8...
tbockman
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 2:20:17 PM

A Focus on The Scroll Saw

Students will find themselves using the scrollsaw more than any other tool/machine in the shop.

Here are some general page short cuts for you... [/size]

Go to page 1 ... 2 ... 3 ... 4 ... 5... 6 ... 7... 8...