Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Planing with a Jointer/Planer Options
jake0391
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 8:48:05 AM
Groups: Member

I am trying to plane down the width of a board with a jointer/planer, but having a hard time keeping the wood down when going across the blades. Any suggestions that might help with this, beside the obvious one of buying a regular planer.

-Tim
facarroll
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2013 11:27:19 PM

It sounds very much like the blades need sharpening or are misaligned. As well as that, I really hope that you are not pressing down over the cutter head while machining in an attempt to hold it down.
You should do some research on proper machining practise. You can download an instruction sheet at http://www.safetytestingonline.com/freestuff/download.php?file=Jointer+Safety.pdf.

Frank Carroll
Jindabyne Central School (Retired)
Australia
http://www.SafetyTestingOnline.com
klandin
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 2:40:47 PM

Tim,

Did you mean "width" or thickness? I'm going to assume that you meant thickness because jointing a board to width doesn't make sense. If so, I'd like to chime in with a strong reiteration of what Frank just wrote:

A) If you are using a jointer to thickness a board, then you are using the wrong machine. That is what thickness planers are for. While it is true that you can easily create two flat faces on a jointer, you can not however achieve two flat and parallel faces.

B) If you are having difficulty holding your boards firmly against the beds of the jointer as you face joint, and it sounds as though you are, then that is a sure sign that either you are taking too big of a bite, or your knives are very dull. In either case, what you are doing is dangerous and ill advised.

C) Whenever you perform any kind of face jointing operation, please, please, please be sure to use some kind of push blocks to hold down and propel your work across the cutters.

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
facarroll
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:14:18 PM

I thoroughly concur with all that Keith has said.

Frank Carroll
Jindabyne Central School (Retired)
Australia
http://www.SafetyTestingOnline.com