Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Collecting Student Growth Data Options
jdwykrent
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 2:09:48 PM
Groups: Member

How do you show student growth? This year I have to collect data to show student grown. It can't be pictures of projects or authentic assessments that show mastery of a skill... It has to be "pre-test / post-test".

I'm thinking doing an identification test that covers:
- Safety
- Hand Tool ID
- Machine ID
- Wood joint ID
- Finishing ID (application methods, sheen, etc)
- Material ID
- Assorted Vocab Words

The struggle I'm having is showing, on paper, a year's growth in a single test.

How do you do this?
buildingtrades
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2013 10:46:29 PM

We have been doing it for 2 yrs. grades 9-12. They call it Student Growth Objective
Basically how it goes
First week of school 158 question pretest ( that you hope is rigors enough that they score low)
11th week benchmark 1 test 72 questions
Week 22 benchmark 2 test. 88 questions
3 weeks before school ends (to allow for retest )is post test 158 questions same as pre test
Then we take post test scores and set are Student Growth Objective for next year. Ie. 7/10 students will score 80% or better in the post test.
Benchmark data allows us to show Growth over the year.
Test is in sections safety,hand tool,power tools,materials, foundations,wall framing ect......

I cover a topic for a week or 2 and quiz almost every Friday.

Tests took me 100's of hours to create test
All I do anymore is teach to the Test. School doesn't care if they can layout a rafter only if the student can answer test questions that' have measurable date, the could care less if the kid can measure !
woodnfire
Posted: Saturday, November 23, 2013 3:22:28 PM

I would give a simple math test with about 15 fractional questions on the first day of class. It did scare some kids out of the class but it was the kind of math used everyday in and out of the classroom. I then gave the same test at the end of the semester and compared results. The test was so easy and the first results were so bad that it got admins attention.
Buckiteacher
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2013 8:16:14 AM

I have recently started this process also.
For my Industrial Tech survey class I give my final exam as a pretest and then compare against the same test given at the end of the quarter.
The test is 115 questions long and covers.
Tool safety
board feet problems
bill of materials.
Drafting Vocabulary
woodworking vocabulary

We have to take other data into account in determining how much a student will grow and assign percentages. I.e.. the students that start with a higher score on the pretest will grow 20 percent, while the students that had the lowest scores will increase 30 percent since they had further to go.
I am also checking the student growth against attendance data.
I have to also do two more SLO next quarter to reach the required number of students reached. I will be using targeted to test an individual skill.
our ceramics teacher has the kids try and use the wheel the first week and uses a rubric to score it (they all fail). He then teaches it and has them make a 5 inch cylinder and uses the same rubric to score. which they can all now do I am trying to find a similar wood working one for my advanced students.
Jack Grube
Posted: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:35:05 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

A little sarcasm for the group....

As we discussed assessing student growth in a management team meeting I suggested, since there is some local discretion, that we use weight as our primary criteria. For many, especially MS tech ed, you could document incredible "growth" in your students. A student who comes in at 110 and leaves at 130 has grown 18%.

Of course,you could also use height!

Hoping everyone in this group enjoys their Thanksgiving dinner and break!
JoeNovack
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:54:24 PM

I know that I have 'grown' as a teacher...
Just sayin'...
WoodTeacher
Posted: Monday, December 2, 2013 9:56:13 PM

Back in the late 70's and early 80's we had the same type of objectives to write -- we had to give a percentage of students who would be able to do a task etc etc -- they were not easy to write and most teachers erred on the low side as much as possible

in Ind Arts, it should be mainly manipulative based -- the main tests should involve math, safety, tool identification and materials/procedures.

some day they are going to start leaving us alone so we can get some real work done.