Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

uc approved wood shop programs? Options
John F. Mason
Posted: Wednesday, December 04, 2013 3:25:49 AM
Groups: Member

I am looking to save wood shop in high school and school period. One way is to make shop tied into either the A through G requirements or get a U C approved program here in California. Anybody know of these in Calif.?
WoodTeacher
Posted: Thursday, December 05, 2013 9:25:39 PM

You can go to the UC website and see what classes have been approved. I went to a couple of the workshops regarding A-G requirements. The UC system really isn't interested in the IE classes being approved. Now if you are a robotics or engineering program like Project Lead The Way they are willing and ready. Another teacher I know was talking to a representative from the UC system and was told they were not going to approve any shop type programs like wood, metal, auto. Unfortunately the conversation was not recorded or the tone would be a lot different at this point in time. I know that courses have been submitted and some may have been accepted --
John F. Mason
Posted: Friday, December 06, 2013 2:35:38 PM

Thanks for the post. I was told that there was a guitar building class over at Beverly Hills high but can't find it on the internet. We have a UC approved auto class here at Alhambra Unified in Los Angeles county at the three high schools. So they will approve them. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of teachers willing.
WoodTeacher
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 1:49:16 PM

I believed I saw the auto shop one which before it had been approved. It was so far removed from an auto program that I know the students we have would not have succeeded at all.

The idea of College and Career ready still has the emphasis on college -- we are currently not preparing students for the real world. As a school, we should be instilling good work ethics in the students which in my opinion means hard and fast consequences. Your late to school/class your assignments aren't done - you stay that day and make it up (athletes miss practice or games as the case may be).