Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

The Power Of Zero Options
WoodTeacher
Posted: Saturday, December 07, 2013 1:55:51 PM
Groups: Member

Recently we have been pushed toward giving students at least a 50% score if a student makes an attempt at an assignment or test ie: if a student gets 30 out of 100 you score it as 50 out of 100.

One of the people pushing this is named Reeves. His ideas is that if a student has at least made an attempt we shouldn't bury them with low scores so they can't get out of the hole they dug for themselves. He believes that we should give them as much time as needed to get stuff done as in the real world there are no deadlines or consequences if your late.

I don't know about you, I have worked in the real world and we were given deadlines and time frames that had to be met at the cost of losing your job if not completed.

I have an article on this guy that if you want, I can forward to you that brings up a couple of other areas regarding his possible credibility.
John F. Mason
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 1:10:57 AM

I had an discussion with a math teachers about this very subject. We have powerschool where the grades are entered and averaged. So if a student gets a 0 one test and a 100 on another their grade averages 50 which is an F. I give them what they earn, points wise. Factor in effort and attitude helps those with low test scores.
WoodTeacher
Posted: Sunday, December 08, 2013 1:58:18 AM

the disadvantage comes if there on few assessments. however in the real world there may be very few assessments and if you only put in 70$ of the brake parts on one job, you have failed.

we also look at the progress, if a student fails a test early and does well the rest of the time I will probably forget about that score -- however if the trend is does well early and then falls off - he gets the lower score. --
craigp
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:35:52 AM

In my district, our lowest grade is a 50% - even if they do not turn in or attempt the assignment. Our grades are also broken down into 70% for summative assignments and 30% assignments. With the 50% rule, our students play the game of what they want to do or don't do. They will spend more time calculating what they have to do to pass the class or if they fail a marking period what they have to get the next to pass the semester. I feel it has made our students lazier.

Using a 50 as the lowest grade works in theory or for those students that care, but it makes the apathetic students more apathetic.

Craig R. Patterson, CD
PLTW Teacher
Elkton High School
Elkton, Maryland
Hagrid
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 2:28:44 AM

With my classes I mark theory tests out of whatever and students get the mark they earned so if that's a fail it's a fail. However I only make the theory 30% of the course. So even if they only get one question right they can still pass the course. Mind you I also make it that they have to attempt all work to get a pass. No saying I am not trying x.