Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

You must read this Options
klandin
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 12:45:43 PM
Groups: Member

I found this link on the Popular Woodworking site. It may be a bit long winded, but it is also the most carefully crafted argument in favor of what we do that I have ever read. Please share this link with your administration and spread the word.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/article/were-letting-down-the-next-generation-of-woodworkers?et_mid=742977&rid=249251392

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
tbockman
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 3:30:54 PM
Groups: Member

I wish I could log in and reply on their site. I would tell them that we may or may not have brought this scourge on ourselves, but by the time everyone figures out that our profession has collapsed it will be too late. Wood shops will already be gone from our schools.

Woodworking magazines are mostly being sold to old retired people... the ones usually rich enough to spend money on what is advertized in the magazine. I tried to tell them, when I had the chance, that they really are not looking enough towards the future.

As early as 2003, I was talking to both WOOD and American Woodworker magazine and they were receptive to some of what I was saying about the future of wood shops in school. Both published some articles on the topic.

American Woodworker even decided that they should start a series about school shop programs and then asked me to co-write the first one. I gladly accepted. I don't know if that was a good thing or not, but it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for a small time wood shop teacher... truly an honor.

When AW asked me to write more articles, I tried unsuccessfully to incorporate my students into the subject matter. It was discouraging when editors changed the text and photos. I tired to tell them to look further down the road... incorporating young people now means customers forever, but that doesn't appeal to them since it doesn't pay the bills right now. Got to think of those stock holders.

It's a lot like what has happened in the auto industry... screw innovation... make profits, until Toyota shook it all up with the Prius. Where was the taxpayer... left paying the bail outs.