Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Shop fee conundrum Options
Dansilvernail
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:54:24 PM
Groups: Member

Starting next year, I can't charge shop fees. School says all students have the right to a free public education. So, all students can participate in shop classes whether they pay for materials or not.

There is a caveat to this in that if the student wants to take their project home, they have to pay for materials. This is fair.

Now I am all in favor of allowing anyone in the class regardless of financial means. But I'm also seeing downsides to the free ride that I need to work through:

First, I've seen students who aren't happy with the result of their project so they just walk away without paying.

Second, without paying for the material, they don't value it.

Third, what do I do with all of the abandoned projects?

Are any of you in a similar situation, and if so, do you have the same issues that I am seeing and if so, how do you deal with them?

Thanks, and enjoy the summer!!!!
Bill Smith
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 9:47:08 AM

I was in a similar situation. As for as unpaid for projects, I used to have a sale every year starting the first school day in December, right before Christmas. Lots of teachers would come and buy gifts. Teachers would buy some projects that I thought belonged in the trash.

Most of the funds went in an activity account for my class. I kept some of the cash for quick purchases. Of course that was in violation of school policy and I was risking loosing my job if caught.
Jack Grube
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2015 7:49:48 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

Woud they allow you to provide pine, or another inexpensive lumber, and students who wanted to upgrade could pay the differential? If enough elected to pay, you could probably cover most, if not all, of the lumber costs.
WoodTeacher
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 2:46:41 PM

I treat the project just like a text book. I check the wood out to them and they must return it in a usable condition. If they ruin a piece wood they are charged for it. If at the end of the project, it is done in such a manner it can be sold -- they are off the for buying it. If it is not, just like they ruined a text book they pay.
J.marquart
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 11:25:57 AM

I'm a true fan of there is no free ride in shop.
If a student wants to build a project in class they must turn a detailed drawing of the project with all the information needed on it.
At that time we figure out what material is needed to make the project.
I work closely with my local lumber yard and they agreed to help me and the students with the lumber costs.
I will call them with the student standing right there in front of me and get the cost of the lumber including all taxes.
If the student agrees with the cost they must bring in a check from their parents made out to the lumber yard. (not to the school or not to me) I will order it when I have the check in my hand and not before. Then they will deliver the wood to the shop, for free.
The lumber yard owner is aware that many times the cost is too high for the students and the parents. and the order is not placed.
Another way to do this is have the students get their own lumber from the big box stores (Loews, Home Depot, etc.) and bring it in themselves. Any recycled wood I have in the shop they can buy for a reduced square foot or board foot charge.
CanKuhn
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2015 1:47:56 AM

We get around to not charging a shop fee by asking for a donation. Based on the cost of the lumber for the class I divide that by the number of students add $5.00 to $10.00 to that amount and give that as a suggested donation. The extra money that comes in usually makes up for the students who don’t pay or just pay part of the donation. I haven’t had any problems coming up with the money to cover my costs yet. Our district hasn’t allowed us to charge a shop fee for 5 years. I don’t make a big deal if they don’t pay and everybody takes there project home whether they pay their donation or not.
Dansilvernail
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2015 5:04:50 PM

Thanks for all of the great input! It's definitely going to be a challenge but fortunately I have the summer to figure things out.

Thanks again!