Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Saw Stop saw Horse power Options
Buckiteacher
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:50:41 PM
Groups: Member

Anyone using the saw stop in 5 hp 3phase model, And is it enough for everything? or is everyone using 7.5 horse?
J.marquart
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:12:53 AM

I have one in my shop.
Its the best thing for safety,But sometimes I'm wondering if we are not building false warnings about how dangerous a table saw really is.
Most shops in industry don't have one.
If you get one, Show the students the video that comes with it, or down load it from the internet.
It is a good machine.
Buckiteacher
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:51:55 AM

I feel the same on the building false security. But as this is my first chance to get a new tool in the room in 23 years and the Sawstop part is the tipping point, it is hard to pass up. Even though thankfully the table saw has never caused more then a few bruises in my room.

As soon as I told the kids half of them wanted to test the system. My simpliest warning was its like birth control it works almost all the time but when it does not your world really changes.
tbockman
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:18:06 AM

The (former student owned) cabinet shop I worked for recently had two 3 hp machines and they seemed to be just fine. I had two 7.5 hp machines and couldn't tell you there was any noticeable difference.... so a 5 hp should be just fine but I'm not so sure the price difference between the highest and lowest is worth it.

On the safety side... I can agree somewhat, until the lawyers get a hold of you when something goes wrong. That's why there aren't any commercial shops around here anymore that don't have SawStops. Their insurance companies require it, so I'm quite surprised your school has waited this long.

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but... whose to say your years of teaching qualifies you to be an expert in tablesaw safety. At least that will be the attorney's line of questioning you will submit yourself to.... since as we all know, there is almost always one knucklehead who will eventually test out the laws of physics and lose. These days that will certainly land you.... the teacher... and your school district... in court regardless of your otherwise spotless safety record.

At least SawStop keeps both you and the student safer than going without. Especially for the sake of saving a few lousy dollars.

This might be a good time to direct newbies here. Some thought provoking arguments that are sure to scare anyone.

I'd love to have a SawStop at this school, but the students don't use it in middle school and it's my own saw from home... and I haven't had a saw accident before..... knock on wood!