Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Power Mechanics Options
mrb1977
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2008 5:35:13 PM
Groups: Member

Hello all,
Just curious, has anyone ever heard the term Power Mechanics used in recent years?
Jeffseiver
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2008 10:08:20 PM

yes that term is used when you are teaching in a tech lab. The tech lab situation minuratizes several shop classes, puts them in a computer and lets you monitor two kids per computer. The kids rotate around the room from one station to another. I've talked to a lot of kids about this concept and they don't like it. The old way of teaching shop is what they want.
mrb1977
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2008 10:19:37 AM

Thanks for the info. Jeff. Are you aware of any resources on the web that I can obtain more information? Mr.B
Mike Walsh
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 2:34:18 PM

Power Mechanics is a course we started to see in the late 70's. It is an outgrowth of the Small Engine class. It includes some electricity, auto, small engine, even steam engines, model rockets ... The main "hands on" is still to take a part a small engine. With the new cluster concept it still makes some sense as an intro course

TechEd took over the term in the 90's. Since they were busy throwing out the "old" IA -- it never seemed to take off.

It is still a viable course and is included in some state guidelines. Some guys offer it as a six or nine week intro to Tech class for 5th or 6th graders and use model airplane engines, model rockets, electric motors...

Goodheart had a text - I think it is still available. The original Principles of Technology Guidelines included power and so there are some POT Text textbook series that include what is essentially Power Mechanics. Companies like IASCO and PITSCO have a lot of supplies and kits that can be used. TechDirections had a lot of articles for class ideas in the 80's and 90's.
mrb1977
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2008 6:40:46 PM

Mike, thanks for the awesome information regarding Power Mechanics. The information will be of great help.
Mr.B
ejaguar
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 12:50:28 AM

I taught a 9 week power mechanics class for 15 years or more in my woodshop. I used Briggs and Stratton horizonial shaft 1.5 hp engines.

They fit my vises so could be held in them and run. A group of 2 students got an engine to disassemble, measure all parts for wear, clean and reassemble. The engines had to run at the end of the quarter for a grade.

I worked electronics,, fuel, tools, service manuals into the program and had a small dynometer. I had a lot of girls take this class and they loved it.

It was one of my favorite to teach.
Mike Walsh
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2008 10:01:45 AM

Picking up on this last post - a lot of programs use the B&S engines for a unit and there is a very good little book done by their training department that a lot of teachers use - Small Engine Care and Repair.

A lot of teachers also use "weed whackers" It is easy to collect an armload of "almost dead" ones at a repair shop. Take off the head but leave the shaft and shaft housing tube. Clamp the tube in a vise and have the kids work on that engine. A weed whacker is the only engine that will run without a flywheel - and the dangers that presents to a kid's fingers. Since these engines are two cycle they have fewer parts to loose.