Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Measurement worksheets? Options
bigD
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:48:04 PM
Groups: Member

Great site guys. I was wondering of anyone had any resources or worksheets on measurement? Things like: imperial measurement, reading a tape measure, adding fractions, etc. Looking for anything you might use in your woodworking classes.

One website I found that creates random worksheets on "reading a tape measure" is themathworksheetsite.com
mikeb
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:02:30 PM

BigD,
Checkout my useful link web page it is loaded with measurement games that reinforce learning how to read a ruler,

http://www2.nksd.net/education/components/links/links.php?sectiondetailid=4256
mrb1977
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 1:06:21 PM

mikeb wrote:
BigD,
Checkout my useful link web page it is loaded with measurement games that reinforce learning how to read a ruler,

http://www2.nksd.net/education/components/links/links.php?sectiondetailid=4256

Mikeb,
Awesome website, thanks.
Mr.B
bigD
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 11:32:26 PM

Thanks for all the resources guys. Keep them coming!
BCguy
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2008 1:20:57 AM

Thanks guys, will use the powerpoint and the website with my group this year I hope!
jcurse8
Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2008 2:13:44 PM

I love the ruler game! I took my students to the computer lab today, put them in groups and had competitions. The high scores of the groups won minature candy bars. They had a good time with it.

www.rickyspears.com/rulergame

Good Luck, Curse
Jim Bird
Posted: Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:40:31 PM

Thanks for the links on ruler drills. This forum is great for sharing info even if we can't always respond to everything. I will get busy with the usual 10-12 hr days and sometimes go weeks without checking this site, but every time I do there is always great info being shared.

I like the 1/4" number and letter sets from Harbor Freight for my MS kids to label their projects with. Great price, good way to identify projects/parts and the kids love to use them.

Thanks again everybody,
Jim
ejaguar
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:06:26 AM

I taught a math class in my shop for one period a day. This si what I did to teach a simple way to read a ruler with any measurement scale.
First, many students don't know how to read a ruler as they don't know where to start the measurement counting. Often, they count the first line on the left end of a ruler.

I showed and explained that any ruler measures distance, and if you could the line on the left edge, you haven't gone any distance, so that is a 0, and once you move along the ruler you begin counting the number of marks.

At first forget the fraction, just count the numer of marks from the left edge to right edge of the ruler.

I made a simple work sheets of large sections of rulers with different numbers of divisions on them, 10ths, 13ths, etc. and had then count the divisions. I never labeled the divisions. I put small arrow heads above some of the marks. From this they learn to not count the first line and not worry about the correct fraction on the ruler. Just the numbers of divisions.

Then we'd go back and mark what the division was on the sample where the arrowhead was. They quickly learn that it may be 9/13ths, 4/18ths, 15/39ts, etc. After that they should be able to pick up any ruler, count the lines and figure the measurement.

I used this on many tests.

I also make a large 1' ruler enlarged on my front wall out of art board that was 4'X2', in black felt pen. I marked it as 1" long divided into 16ths, and the division made different lengths and the correct division written above that division.

Then when a student asked what a measurement was they were working on, I'd point the the frontwall where the large inch was.

After this exercise, once or twice I never had students ask what the division was on a ruler or scale they had.

Bob M

Mike Walsh
Posted: Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:10:37 PM

I saw this one at a summer workshop at U of IL years ago.

Buy a roll of 3 1/2" adding machine tape. Note: this is the same as the width of a 2 X 4 so if you teach building trades too this is handy for teaching the layout of studs and rafters.

Cut it into 10' sections and give each kid one. Have them tape it to the floor. Give them a steel tape and a square.

Give them a list of lengths (pieces) they have to measure, mark and then cut out of the strip. Each should have "feet, inches and fractions BUT mix the "style" -
i.e.
four feet two and a half inches,
3' 4 2/3",
19 7/8 inches,...

When they are done have them put their name on each piece, collect them by size, compare all of the pieces. (align one end, staple the stack and then lay them on your desk ) No two will be the same.

Not only are you teaching the "divisions" on the rule - but the effect of eye position, accuracy of mark, understanding of fraction, understanding of written dimension.

Most importantly you are teaching how difficult it is to "make" something if the resulting pieces are not the same.
BRYAN CONKLIN
Posted: Monday, September 8, 2008 8:54:45 AM

If you are looking for some more measurement sheets you can check out www.edhelper.com There are all kinds of measuring stuff and it will also print out the answer key as well.