Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

canoe-building in your classes Options
audell
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 1:49:44 PM
Groups: Member

Have any of you built cedar strip canoes as a class project? We are really seriously thinking about this as a project but I have many questions about having students work on this type of project. As for the construction of it the only major factor I am unfamiliar with is the fiberglassing. But, the big part I am hesitant about is the cost? Any ideas?Concerns?Thoughts?Sources?
I have, and have read just about every canoe-building book that's out there, plus dozens and dozens of websites. But, I'd like to hear from someone who has experienced this first-hand through a classroom experience.
Mike Walsh
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:19:26 PM

There have been several guys who have kids or classes build canoes here in Michigan. There are always some entered in the state contest. I do know have any names - but the associations web site is http://www.mites.cc/ It lists the contest winners. Maybe you can track down a school or teacher. BTW - canoes are always VERY popular with kids who visit the fair.
melvinator
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 1:19:22 PM

I have had 2 canoes take 2nd place in the mites convention in the last 2 years. They are easier to build than you might think. Here is a link to the junior girl who built one in only her 2nd year in woodshop.
http://www.tk.k12.mi.us/hs/mmelvin/Independant%20study/Jen%20H.htm

Here is a great link that explains TONS!!!!!!
http://www.pdxtex.com/canoe/canoe.htm

If you do it right it can be built for under $400 including the frame and router bit. If yu have any questions let me know mmelvin@tkschools.org
Joe Barry
Posted: Wednesday, February 04, 2009 5:14:15 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

When I bought a copy of the book "The Stripper's Guide to Canoe Construction" the vendor sent an invoice for "The Stripper's Guide". A had a bit of explaining to do to the Superintendent!

I did strip canoes and had the molds on wheels and could wheel them out the garage door and into a storage shed at the end of each class. If I had a higher ceiling I would have raised them up to the rafters within the shop just as is done in boat shops.

I did the canoes as a mass production project. We sold the canoes at the end of the year and covered all my costs and most of the rest of my budget. The result was an angry administration that told me I was not supposed to "run a business out of the shop" and ordered to never do it again. So much for teaching entrepeneurship !
audell
Posted: Friday, February 06, 2009 1:37:08 PM

Thanks for the student built canoe pictures. Also, thanks for the canoe storage ideas. I hope to get the kids started soon, AND finished this year.
gmonley
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 3:24:37 PM

Hi,
Last year, one of my exceptionally talented woodshop students took did an individual project of building a canoe in woodshop. He had no plans and I had no experience. He simply sketched a curve on a sheet of paper. He then guessed at the ribs based on his initial curve. He then built some forms for the ribs out of MDF. I helped him cut 1/8 inch thin strips of poplar which he bent and glued around the forms. We made a temporary frame to clamp the ribs in place upside down. We cut 1/4 x 1 -2 inch strips of poplar which he bent around the ribs, gluing into place with polyurethane adhesive. He had to use narrower strips as he got the the keel since the curves got more "compound?". He finished the gunwales, gussets etc with scraps of walnut and ipe. He sanded off excess polyurethane and put 5 coats of marine varnish on.
I went out on it's maiden voyage last spring. Although the curve on the bottom is a bit irregular, it does handle reasonably well for a seat of the pants canoe with two people in it.
I am not sure how this would work as a class project.