Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

1/4 sheet sanders Options
Bill67
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:17:57 AM
Groups: Member

what kind of palm sanders do you guys use? we have tried porter cable and bosch but were unhappy with the dust collection or the durability. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
audell
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:26:50 AM

In our shop we don't really use ANY sanders. We had used to use the little 1/4 sheet Porter-Cable sanders. But, with the way the kids treated them we were buying several every year. Plus, I thought I was going to go insane when I was hearing two dozen of them everyday for a few weeks. Currently, we have an older Porter-Cable 1/2 sheet sander that's built like a tank. I give it out to use as a reward.
I also like to justify not using sanders by maintaining that they get a better appreciation for machining the wood correctly, sanding the wood in the correct direction, and just for getting an appreciation for the efficiency an electric sander provides.

I've heard air-powered sanders are great if you have the compressor to run them.
Roger Peterson
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:22:49 PM

I bought two porter cable 343 variable speed oribitals last year and have been pleased. The dust collection on them is a twist and lock versus just push on and rely on friction, my last PC orbitals were like that and the kids would fight to keep dust bag on.

One trick is maintaining the velcro on the hook and loop pads. I have the kids blow the sanders off after use to keep dust from building in the motor and the pad velcro.
craigp
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:34:34 PM

We use the 5" PC343VSK with the PSA pad (purchased this summer to replace the PC333 with PSA pad, they started wearing out after 23 years) and the PC330 finish sander (we have had them since like 1984 and they are still going strong). We do not worry about dust collection on our sanders. At the end of every period, we clean off the floors, tables, and machines, we try to get everything that the very undersized dust collector does not get.

Craig R. Patterson, CD
PLTW Teacher
Elkton High School
Elkton, Maryland
Keith Schadler
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 1:56:15 PM

I purchased 2 cheap 1/4 sheet Black and Decker sanders 3 years ago just because I had a few dollars left in my account for the year. I don't let the kids use them until they are on their final project, at which time I explain that they need to take turns, and if they are dammaged, I won't replace them as they have worked all year without sanders, and it makes no difference to me if they all hand- sand. This seems to solve problems, and I don't really have headaches from them as its the last project...
Jeffseiver
Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 10:14:05 PM

I to got tired of the short durability of 1/4 sheet sanders too, so I invested in a round orbital Ryobi sander. It seems to be holding up nicely. the only drawback is that I have to purchase the round sand paper sheets with velcro on the back for adhesion to the disk. BUT I don't replace them till they are totally used. so there seems to be no wasted paper. So far so good. And it has not broken even when dropped. It is built a little stronger.
Giz
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:28:27 AM

Wow....

I've always had pretty good luck with the 1/4 sheet Porter Cable 330's.

I think they're pretty durable.

My kids are allowed to use them whenever they wish. They seldom fail us, and when they do, I always keep the dead ones around to scavenge parts from, thereby keeping the 6 we use in service longer.
mstang64bb
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:53:17 AM

Just my two cents...

I have 19 PC 340's that are used and abused by kids all day, every day. Aside from replacing the pads and some bearings once a year, they are a workhorse in my shop. I'm glad to have them...

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
creighta
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 7:27:54 AM

I have tried quite a few 1/4 sheet sanders. The worst IMO were either Hitachi or Black and Decker, so far the most durable have been Dewalt. My favorite, and one of the best I have had is actually a $10 Kraftec I bought at walmart. It is all metal and seemingly indestructible.

I will also give a thumbs up to the 5" Ryobi random orbit. I have never had one die, but I try to limit its use bc the paper costs more.
craigp
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:12:21 AM

creighta wrote:
I have tried quite a few 1/4 sheet sanders. The worst IMO were either Hitachi or Black and Decker, so far the most durable have been Dewalt.

I think it is funny that the worst ones you have used are made by the same people who make the ones you consider to be the most durable.

I would agree that our PC's are work horses. They get used constantly, and get abused more than they should.

Craig R. Patterson, CD
PLTW Teacher
Elkton High School
Elkton, Maryland
creighta
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:48:45 PM

I need to make a corection, the junk sanders I have are skil, not Black and Decker.

BTW don't let anyone tell you that B&D and Dewalt are equals. The B&D industrial are equal or better than Dewalt, but ordinary B&D are diferent
mikeb
Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2009 10:43:53 PM

The DeWalt's that I use are noisier than heck!!!! I employ hearing protection for my students and that makes thing fun!!
creighta
Posted: Friday, February 13, 2009 7:25:45 AM

I have a decimal meter left from mod-tech. I have found that most of these little sanders run around 100db. To put that in perspective, a router or planer will usually tip out at 110db and the tablesaw under load is usually 90db. At those levels you should have hearing protection when sanding for more than 15min.

My Dewalts are under the 100db mark as long as I keep the paper on tight.
John F. Mason
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 11:32:09 PM

I used to use the 1/4 sheet sanders. Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, Black and Decker. I found that the Random Orbital are much better. I have tried the peel and stick and like that more than the velcro. The cheap sandpaper I can afford wears the velcro out and then you have to buy another pad for the sander. The air tool sanders are cool but real noisy. I replace 4 sanders every year and like the Makitas the best. However this last year DeWalt has random orbital and 1/4 sheet sanders for 60 bucks available at Grizzly.com. Sand on.
John F. Mason
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 11:33:53 PM

I forget to mention that the combo 1/4 sheet and random were a pair for 60 bucks. Such a deal.
Jeffseiver
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 1:00:28 AM

Hey I was at Pep Boys this weekend and happened on a tool sale. I picked up 2 sanders that operate on air preasure. They use 1/3 sheets. The kids like them because they make lots of noise. They seem to work great. Now to see if they last longer than electric ones.
creighta
Posted: Monday, March 16, 2009 7:24:00 AM

I had considered the air tool rout at one time too. Keep us posted on that.

In factories they usually use air tools bc they are more durable. For wood, I would be a little concerned about rusty, oily condensation coming out of the exhaust.