Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Teaching Autocad to Middle School Students Options
mrb1977
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:07:34 AM
Groups: Member

Does anyone cover Autocad within the Middle School curriculum? If so, how do you keep the kids interest? Mr.B
mikeb
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:15:49 AM

I am looking at using Google sketch-up in the future with my middle school students. They can draw their products before they manufacture them in the woods lab. I believe you need a simple program that teaches the basics due to a limited time frame with the students. How long do you have students before the move on??
axle5
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 11:44:58 AM

I dont currently do AutoCad at my position becuase of budget reasons I guess. Anyhow, during my student teaching I used a overhead projector and had the kids follow along while I drew a couple of objects and then set them free to complete the rest.

Hope this helps.
Roger Peterson
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:32:23 PM

I use AutoCAD LT at the freshman level but not jr. high. A couple of years ago I received copies of ProDesktop (3D modeling) free just for taking a Saturday course for $200. Basically get unlimited copies for school computers and student can take copy home if they are enrolled in class. I like to start the jr. high kids with ProD because it keeps them very engaged in the design process while teaching them how to navigate design software. Once they get hooked on the design process, the transition to ACAD seems to be easier as far as keeping them interested.
We also have a CNC router with Partworks that I use to coax younger kids into ACAD, as ACAD is very useful for creating vectors to transfer to CNC software.
mrb1977
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 3:42:32 PM

mikeb wrote:
I am looking at using Google sketch-up in the future with my middle school students. They can draw their products before they manufacture them in the woods lab. I believe you need a simple program that teaches the basics due to a limited time frame with the students. How long do you have students before the move on??

Hey Mike,
I have sixth graders for only ten week blocks, and seventh graders for 20 week blocks. I utilize Google sketch-up during my architecture/drafting unit for an intro. I have found that the kids don't like the Autocad LT program for it is very boring at the middle school age. I have proposed to administration to purchase Autodesk Design Kids, but with the state of the economy I wont push it too much. How is your year broken down? Number of weeks per grade, etc.?
Mr.B
Jeffseiver
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:00:42 PM

Mike, I use autocad with my 8th graders. What I do is make them repeat the board drawings that they did as 7th graders. I show them how to open the different operations one at a time( arc, circles, hexs, everything. They put two each on a sheet then save it to file then transfere to a flash drive. I make them turn in borderlines, titleblocks all the same plates from the drafting packet. They print out each plate just like the packet. The only drawback I have found is that they have to stay on the computer they sit at. They can't change computers because a different computer will not open their flash drives. It has to do with the program as it is installed in each computer.Once they have done these individual plates I have them get into groups of four(4) then they are responsable for one of the working drawings and one side of the house they have chosen to design. Once they complete everything then I take their architectural drawings to kinko's and enlarge their plans. Then they build their houses right on the enlarged plans.
Another thing I do is cut off internet access.So the little darlings will be able to focus all their work to the drawings.
I score everything exactly like I score their board drawings plates. I have a program Building homes of our own on the computers so that the early finishers can go on to something more difficult while the others finish up.
Just for fun I bought a six seat access to "Time Engineers" and if they finish the building homes of our own program then they can go onto a really hard thinking, engineering oriented educational game. I haven't had anyone get through the program yet. But i liked it. math and thinking stuff you know.
That's what I do.
creighta
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:01:44 AM

I do a short section of board drawing with 8th grade. I used to go from 3-views on board to isometrics on board, but now I am using sketchup for the 3-d work. For this level I like it a lot better than acad, which I also have but don't use.

If you choose to do acad, I would just go over the basics w/ them.

Line, grid, offset, layers, snap, some simple geometrics.
mikeb
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:01:06 PM

mrb1977 wrote:
mikeb wrote:

Hey Mike,
I have sixth graders for only ten week blocks, and seventh graders for 20 week blocks. I utilize Google sketch-up during my architecture/drafting unit for an intro. I have found that the kids don't like the Autocad LT program for it is very boring at the middle school age. I have proposed to administration to purchase Autodesk Design Kids, but with the state of the economy I wont push it too much. How is your year broken down? Number of weeks per grade, etc.?
Mr.B

I have my students for a trimester of the year which is around 33 classes every other day. I have grades 6-8th so It would be a nice progression from three view drawings to 3d drawing on their design products.