Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Safety Glasses Required Options
mstang64bb
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 11:43:20 AM
Groups: Member

I don't know if it is because we had last week off for vacation, but I find myself reminding students (more than once) to "Keep you safety glasses over your eyes!". There must be a better sulution to have students wear safety glasses. Aside from reprimands and being sent to the office for not listening, what do other teachers do with their students when confronted with the nagging situation?

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
dtrenholm
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 12:37:52 PM

Tell stories. My brother in law lost an eye because he wasn't using safety glasses while nailing down a sub floor. The nail ricocheted and pierced his eye. Try being a one eyed calf roping carpenter. Not easy.
Mike Walsh
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:10:26 PM

It is not just kids. Forty years ago I was the firing range supervisor for a police department. Non stop bitch, moan, groan from grownups !

The only thing that worked for them, or my HS kids was insisting on 100% compliance at all times. They would fuss for a while but get over it.

Now, I have found that younger / smaller kids will complain if the glasses do not fit them well, slide off or slip. You can buy most glasses in smaller frame sizes. That may help.

When I taught 9th grade I had mostly girls - I found they did not like "sharing" glasses. Once I let them buy / use their own I had a lot less fussing. I would buy a dozen cheap glasses out of the shop budget and let the DECA kids sell them at the school store. Some guys have told me they have luck selling a little more stylish glass. A lot of schools won't let you do that though.
creighta
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:57:55 PM

I have dirty old step stool in a safe corner , hallway actually,of my shop. If kids don't listen I set them there. Works better than you would think.
Jacob Adams
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:16:03 PM

I do two things.

1. I sell glasses to the students for cost. In my class everyone has to have their own glasses. This frees students to get the coolest glasses they can find.

2. I give them daily points. This is their "payment" for the day. A week of zeros for the day quickly gets the point across.

Also, I am a safety glass collector. I buy old pairs at auctions and sales and flea markets. You would be surprised how some kids think the old ones (60's and 70's) are. They like to wear them. I also display old pairs in the room. kind of like a museum.
klandin
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 5:20:49 PM

1) Keep em clean and in good condition. Nobody likes wearing scratched lenses. Don't expect your kids to wear something that you wouldn't.

2) Make sure that you stock age appropriate sizes. Adult sized glasses do not fit properly on most kids. They aren't very comfortable, and they probably aren't as safe either. Even in my high school shop I still keep several pairs of little kid sized safety glasses around. Some people just don't have very big heads.

3) I had great luck with my middle school kids when I bought a shop load of colorful "cool" looking glasses. It doesn't seem to be as big a selling point with my high schoolers, but the younger ones really liked those colors.

4) Make absolute compliance the law from day one. Make an example of your first few victims and the sheep will follow. Be firm and be consistent.

5) In my class at least, the worst punishment that I can dole out is to deprive my students of their work time. When I catch one of my students not wearing their safety glasses they are done for the day. I also give them a zero for the day, but it is the lack of shop time that most drives home my message.

6) Set a good example. If they have to wear em, so do you.

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
mrb1977
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 6:16:49 PM

I totally agree with everyone's posts. I have found that letting the kids pick out their own pair of glasses from the magazine, they will have a little more "buy-in" to wear them. The cool factor sets in. If they can't afford them, I use to purchase them out of the shop fund, without letting other kids know.
Mr.B
mstang64bb
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:13:49 AM

Thanks Folks,
These are lot of great ideas. I do buy several styles and sizes of glasses and I had the ultra violet light fixed last year in the glasses cabinet. I also keep the spray cleaner and wipes handy for cleaning lenses. I will give a try to some of youe ideas.
Thanks again...

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
Jeffseiver
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 12:42:44 AM

I got so tired of it that I bought scroll saws with a plastic cover that flips down over the blade area. Other than that I stand near the other equipment so that they cannot operate them without the glasses. They still sneak in there though. I also have a parent consent form that specifically states that if their kid losses and eye it will be their own fault because they didn't have their glasses on. Once in a while I will let out a yell while cutting on the table saw and stoop down and groan and yell and fake an eye injury and that works really well too.
Joe Barry
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 5:49:55 PM
Groups: Member, Moderator

I posted industrial signage about eyewear requirements at the entrance to the shop. It's fun to watch the kids berate administrators to wear safety glasses when they make a rare foray into the shop.
mikeb
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 7:53:47 PM

Every time you catch them with them off you take a point of their final average. That works pretty well for me. Then you can tell them I'm sure your parents will won't be happy if you get hurt knowing that I always wear my safety glasses at all times. The students have to do as I do or they are out of the class for a safety violation!
Jeffseiver
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 12:39:18 PM

The problem that we all run into is that after the third week you can't transfere a kid out. As the admins. say you have to build a case of many violations of SCHOOL rules not shop rules. It's very difficult to move a disrupter out. many times I'm stuck with a kid through to the end of the class. I just have to role with the waves. What I do is record it in the zangle program and call parents to verbally let them know that their kid is not following the rules and that by contacting them I can't be held liable for any physical damages to the kid. So the beat goe's on and on.
Roger Peterson
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2009 9:39:12 AM

Safety glasses are required at all times once student enter the shop. If one student has them off for any reason, the entire class wears safety glasses the rest of the day in their remaining classes. I like to let the students police themselves, if I can train them as eighth graders there usually is no problem through their high school years.
dbitting
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:48:16 PM

Not necessarily safety glasses, I deduct daily points for no glasses, and in extreme safety violations, I will set student down and do book work while others are working in shop. If they don't do book work, they get zero for day. I have one student that decided to horseplay rather severely in class -- repeatedly-- my other shop class built a "jail cell" out of my old office. I can look in, he can't look out. I may let him out into the shop cleaning in a week or two from now.
rhirman
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:45:26 PM

I tell my students once to put them on. If they do not then I have them sit in a corner and not participate, and their grade is effected from that. This works really well and I have had no problems with glasses.
Ray