Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

In need of shop rulers Options
Keith Schadler
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 1:24:58 PM
Groups: Member

Does anybody know of a good place to order bench rules? The ones I currently use are aluminum and the numbers are wearing off. It appears to me I have two options:
1-Buy the same ones over and over again every few years -$3 each
2-Spend $18-$20 each for wooden rules with brass ends
Believe it or not, my administrator doesn't have a problem with me purchasing the expensive ones, however, we will be on the "purchase over 3-years" plan. If anyone knows of a great place to order cheaper ones, or have any suggestions, please let me know...
Jeffseiver
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 8:33:16 PM

Quit spending the money. Cut 12" long 2x4's on the table saw at 3/8" then lay them out and use a pen to mark 1" 1/2" 1/4" lines on them. Don't put any numbers on them make the kids count out what they need.
You can make as many as you will ever need. Write on the back Stolen from and put in your school name and wood shop.
Hey it works for me.
klandin
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 9:32:05 PM

I use those classic Industrial Arts style 12" steel rules made by Lufkin. They are literally indestructible and very precise with deeply etched 1/16" graduations(my shop standard)on one side, and easier to read 1/8" graduations on the other. The only time that I have ever seen one of these puppies get damaged was some years ago when one of my rocket scientists left it in the path of a 12" radial arm saw. Even then it was not completely ruined. The saw blade on the other hand - now that was a different story. They are however rather pricey, so theft is more of a concern than mortality. That being said, I haven't lost one yet in the three years that I've been in my current situation. The best price that I've found is about $20 a piece through an outfit called SATCO Supply. Satco's delivery time can be horrendous, but their prices tend to be an easy 50% lower than the competition so I just deal with it.

Keith Landin
Woodshop instructor, Woodstock Academy
"Mens tua sit implementum acerrium in fabrica"
CanKuhn
Posted: Monday, March 23, 2009 11:13:15 PM

I'll agree with Keith. Lutkin makes the best. I also buy most of my supplies through SATCO. Here's the website: http://www.tools4schools.com You can download a catalog from the website or request to have one mailed to you. Some of their prices are ridiculously low.
mstang64bb
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:40:47 AM

Keith,

I buy 12" aluminum rulers from Dick Blick Art. They're $2.24 each and have both 1/16 & 1/8 scale. I like them better than the wood or plastic ones, and for a middle school they get the job done just fine...

A project isn't finished, until a FINISH is on it....Bob~
Jacob Adams
Posted: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:59:25 AM

Keith,

I went to the local Wal-Mart and bought 100 plastic rulers for $.15 a piece. They have 1/6th" graduations on one side and are indestructible. I have dipped them in lacquer thinner and the number are still there. I have wrapped them around a pipe and they don't break. The only problem I have had is "sword fighting." When this happens I just throw one away or put it by the table saw to check blade heights with. They work pretty well for drafting, as that is what we are using them for right now, low budget and all.
craigp
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:40:55 AM

We also have the Lufkin steel rulers, and I love them. I also agree that SATCO can be extremely slow with shipping. I have waited over 6 months for a gross of coping saw blades. I kept calling every week trying to find when they would be shipped. I was always told that they would ship the following week. If you are not in a hurry, order from them. I will, but only if I do not need something for a few months.

Craig R. Patterson, CD
PLTW Teacher
Elkton High School
Elkton, Maryland
creighta
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:38:08 AM

I have gone completely to harbor freight tape measures and speed squares. I can buy both for under $5 and they get meet every measuring need we have in the shop. As long as you don't let the kids abuse them the tapes are pretty durable and only have to be replaced every few years.
Keith Schadler
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 5:50:26 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I decided to try making my own. I found a 2" thick piece of hickory in the back of my wood room, planed it, and sliced it into 1/4" pieces. Then used some number stamps and a chisel to mark off the dimensions. I can't believe I didn't think of this before. Perhaps I should start mass production and selling them for $10 each and start a little fundraiser....