Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Laminated Landing Net Options
RoyBoom
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 11:07:57 AM
Groups: Member

Does anyone have the drawings with dimensions for the laminated landing net? The one I have is from Wood Magazine, June 2001. I've got the article here, but the plans in the center pullout are missing. I traced a tennis racket, but then after looking at the nets at Gander Mountain they seem so small. I just want to be sure I'm doing something that we can get a net for afterwards that fits right. Thanks.
amyleigh
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:38:17 PM

Sorry I'm no help but I do have a question. What is a laminated landing net?

Amy Stephens
Moody High School
ALABAMA
audell
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 1:55:01 PM

A laminated landing net is for a fisherman to land his fish he catches. I have looked at doing that project as well, but lost the plans and lost ambition to set up that project for my class. I always thought it would be great because it involves small amounts of wood, laminating, bending of wood and tying of the net.
mrb1977
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:40:20 PM

Hey guys, I new of a wood working teacher in Craig Colorado that designed and built these nets with the kids. I have done it in the past, but lost the plans. What I usually did was let the kids design their own shape. I then transferred the shape to a piece of 3/4" plywood, and cut a 2" wide pattern out of the shape. The handle consists of a solid type of wood.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can33.php (plans found online)

http://www.sterlingnets.com/bulk_netting.html (bulk nets)
JoeNovack
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:03:06 PM

Roy,
I may have that WOOD magazine...I will check.
creighta
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 7:21:30 AM

I used to do those w/ advanced students to teach steam bending. I traced my own net and then had the kids make up a clamping jig out of two stacked pieces of 3/4" plywood.

I don't have the dimensions here, but I can get them to you in the next day or two (probably tomorrow, but I forget a lot)
RoyBoom
Posted: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:42:25 PM

[quote=mrb1977]Hey guys, I new of a wood working teacher in Craig Colorado that designed and built these nets with the kids.

Thanks for those links that you sent, they should help. I went to one of the seminars that guy in Colorado did, and had a great time out there with about 20 shop teachers. I see Craig Conrad has left that school now and is doing motivational speaking. While out there we did a mass production on a little camp chair, and I've been working on that one with a couple of my guys this year. We also made up one of the nets and I'd traced it out but over the few years since then I've misplaced those plans (my unorganization combined with a move to a new building didn't help).
JoeNovack
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2009 9:26:01 AM

Roy,
I have the pull-out for that WOOD magazine.
Let me know if you want it and I will make a copy.

For my e-mail add jnovack to @madisonschools.k12.va.us

All the best,
Joe Novack
RoyBoom
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2009 10:49:05 AM

[quote=JoeNovack]Roy,
I have the pull-out for that WOOD magazine.
Let me know if you want it and I will make a copy.

Joe, if you could do that I'd really appreciate it. If you can scan it my email is RoyBoom@aol.com. If you need a mailing address let me know and I'll post that. Thanks.
JoeNovack
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:24:12 AM

No problemo....
I'l get it to you one way or the other...
mrb1977
Posted: Thursday, May 7, 2009 6:41:32 PM

RoyBoom wrote:
[quote=mrb1977]Hey guys, I new of a wood working teacher in Craig Colorado that designed and built these nets with the kids.

Thanks for those links that you sent, they should help. I went to one of the seminars that guy in Colorado did, and had a great time out there with about 20 shop teachers. I see Craig Conrad has left that school now and is doing motivational speaking. While out there we did a mass production on a little camp chair, and I've been working on that one with a couple of my guys this year. We also made up one of the nets and I'd traced it out but over the few years since then I've misplaced those plans (my unorganization combined with a move to a new building didn't help).

Hey Roy, I attended one of those sessions. I attended one I think it was the summer of 2002? What year did you attend?
MrB
RoyBoom
Posted: Friday, May 8, 2009 7:37:36 AM

MrB, I'm not sure what year I went, but it was several years before I got married and that was in 2003. I'd guess I was there in about '98. Craig was really a rah rah kind of guy, not sure I could work myself up that much but it really seemed to work for him. I wish there was more stuff like that we could get to, it was inspiring. When I was doing graphic arts they had a real active group that held a convention every summer that was a lot of fun and very informative. Last night I went over to the MITES convention in Battle Creek. That was pretty good too, I've got to get involved with that.
swillner
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:18:41 AM

I found a copy of plans for making a laminated net in a book by Patrick Spielman entitled "Making your own sports gear". I scanned the pages but not certain how to post them here. If you will send an email to me at willners@mdusd.k12.ca.us I will email you the 4 pages from the book

Stephen Willner
Sequoia Middle School

RoyBoom
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 11:06:28 AM

My school email is rboomershine@gacsnet.org. Maybe send it also to RoyBoom@aol.com just in case the school filtering grabs it. Thanks.
JoeNovack
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2009 12:07:59 PM

Roy,
I'll also be sending the WOOD mag files to you tomorrow...
All the best,
Joe
ehensel1
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:49:00 PM

It looks like this gentleman uses the technique described in the book mentioned earlier in this post.

http://www.flyfishingnets.net/gpage16.html

"It never got weird enough for me..." Hunter S. Thompson
JeeperJohn
Posted: Monday, May 18, 2009 9:43:57 PM

Fine Woodworking has one also.
http://www.carsonwoodworks.net/netarticle.pdf