Hosted by Woodcraft
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Help! Who knows about cnc routers? Options
jcurse8
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:00:50 AM
Groups: Member

My school is currently trying to get involved in a Robotics program, and I am seeing this as an oppurtunity to jump in and get a cnc router. We are starting out with a 3d modeling drafting program. The goal is to have the drafting classes and woodshop classes combine efforts to draft a car, cut out a 3d model with a cnc router, and vaccum form plastic to the wood model. This plastic model will then be used to build a slot car. I would like to be able to use this router in my regular woodworking classes, as well as to be used for the cars. It would also be nice to be able to create co2 cars. Is there anyone that does the F1 cars, or knows much about cnc routers. What brands are good/bad? Can I do it with a 3 Axis, or must it be a 5 Axis?
BRYAN CONKLIN
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:13:00 AM

If they are going to give you the cash for a 5 axis machine take it and run like hell!!
3 will do it, you just have to watch you tool paths depending on your geometry. They will also do signs, shapes and everything else under the sun. Swing by your local corian countertop place and have them give you the scraps. Makes for some pretty nice projects for the kids.
You can also have the kids design game boards like cribbage, parcheesi and monopoly and have the machine cut out the boards as well. Just another idea.
jcurse8
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2009 11:12:31 AM

Of course, just like any school, money is an issue. We are working on grant money, but don't know how much we may get. We may be getting a very large grant, but most of the money alloted in the grant is dedicated to professional development. The rest is for equipment, but it must be shared with the computer and technology department as well.
Dean_K
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 11:12:14 PM

SCMI Pratix and SCMI Action Line are two nice machines I have worked with. They would work well in a school shop. Make sure you get installation, startup, software and training so that when the tech leaves the machine is cutting your parts.